Prevent values from overwriting

Badge +9

I have a workflow that I created on a library that goes through an approval process. The workflow initates when the user saves the word template into the library. I am using Flexi-Tasks, going down the "approve" and "reject branch" I am using a call webservice action (figure 1)  that saves the comment and date of the user into a variable called "UserTaskOutcome." This variable is then saved into a column called "CommentsMade" in the library. This column is placed on the word document so that when the manager opens the final version of the template they can see the approver's name and the history of comments made.

The issue I have run into is, when the first person approves the document the comments save into the variable, however during the approval process if the first person has to reject or approve the task then the variable saves the new comment and the original comment isn't there anymore. How do I preserve all comments made without them overwriting each other?

178966_pastedImage_0.png

178994_pastedImage_1.png

178995_pastedImage_2.png

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Rency Gonzalez ,

Try and load the variable with its current contents and the concatenating the new contents. One way to do this may be to use the build string action in a workflow. In the screenshot below, I used the variable at the beginning of the string build, then used existing properties to add new comment data including comments, Last Task Approver display name, and the data and time the action ran (approximating the time and date that the task was acted upon).

{WorkflowVariable:var_Comments_MLT}, {Common:LastApproverComments} - {Common:LastTaskRespondentDisplayName}: {Common:CurrentDate}-{Common:CurrentTime}

178986_pastedImage_0.png

If this answers your question or is helpful, be sure to mark the question as such.

Regards,

Patrick Kelligan

Badge +9

Hi Patrick,

Quick question is {WorkflowVariable:var_Comments_MLT} a collection variable or just single line text?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I just use the MLT tag in my variable to mean Multiple Lines of Text. Just a convention I like to use so that when a variable name shows up in a log I can tell something about it. You can use TXT if you need to for some reason but with MLT you are safe, especially if you want to add line feeds or carriage returns between comment segments.

Badge +9

testing it out now happy.png

Badge +9

Hi Patrick

you are the best thank you it worked. happy.png

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Now your Kung Fu is strong Rency Gonzalez!

179003_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +9

LOL I literally laughed out loud.... : D