cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Need to update an item field in List B from List A's workflow (permission issue)

I have a workflow running from List A that goes out and looks at every item in List B to compare whether there is a file in list B with matching Acct number from item in List A. If it finds a match, I need it to write to a field in List B's matching item. The problem here is that it can't write to the item and I think it's because of the permission issue that happens in regards to permissions and workflows (workflow takes on permissions of initiator). Lists are in the same site.

Ideas?

(Nintex 2010 workflow, SP 2010, InfoPath form 2010)

Labels: (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Need to update an item field in List B from List A's workflow (permission issue)

Put the list update activity in an "action set", then under the common settings, select to run as workflow owner.  Then publish the workflow as a user that has permission.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Need to update an item field in List B from List A's workflow (permission issue)

I am trying to follow your instructions and have put the list update activity into an action set, however, when I click on Common Settings, I do not see anything that relates to running as workflow owner. Can you please help? (below is a screenshot of the loop with the update item put into the action set and below that is a screenshot of the possible settings for the Action Set. I looked at the configuration options for the Item Update as well (in case I misunderstood your instructions) and they are the same as the Action Sets.

ActionSet-Loop.jpg

ActionSet-Settings.jpg

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I see that you are running a version of Nintex workflow that is a couple years old.  I'm wondering if this functionality is not available in this version. 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I'm looking through my actions and it looks like I could set the Item Permissions on List B from List A when it finds a matching item. However..... I do not know what to set them to as I'm not sure .... does the item in List B need to have the permissions of Initiator from List A or does it see the workflow on List A as it's own entity and the item in List B needs to have the permissions of a system account (for example) or whatever it sees as the "user/account" trying to write to it from List A. (hope that isn't too confusing).

0 Kudos
Not applicable

The workflow runs as the user that initiated it, so that user would need permission.  However, I think modifying the permissions is much more complicated than you need.  I would pursue why you cannot see the "run as workflow owner" with Nintex support, since I think this is the cleanest / easiest way

0 Kudos
Not applicable

The reason that the "Run as Workflow Owner" is not available in the Action Set for me is because "Only actions at the root path of the workflow will have the Run as Workflow Owner option.  If you have an action in any branch, this option will not be available."

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Run your whole loop in the action set then

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I can't put just the loop inside of it, the entire workflow has to run under this Action Set for this option to be available, which is what I'm going to try. Only thing is, I'm not sure of the repercussions of doing this, the downside?!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Review your workflow to make sure there will be no way for a user to modify something they shouldn't be able to.  Otherwise security-wise I don't see a problem.
One other thing is that all the "created" "modified" dates and so forth will be in the workflow owner's name rather than the user who started the workflow.  Of course, if you need that information, you can store the workflow initiator in separate columns.

Another thing is you have to remember to log into SharePoint with the proper account for example "WorkflowRunner" when you want to republish the workflow.  This is not a problem, just something to remember.

0 Kudos