cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Need to Verify Multiple Attachments Controls are not Null

Jump to solution

yes but I have multiple attachment controls... this example only says if any attachments are uploaded, not which control uploaded them.

I've got it worked out. So I have spoken to another Nintex expert Patrick Abel who explained that I can accomplish what I'm trying to do with an action set in a workflow. I can pull out the number of attachments per control and use that variable in the workflow. 

Thank you for your assistance.

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Marian Hatala‌ to provide some additional context into the solution (and aid others in the future) – Josh Henderson‌ had multiple attachment controls on his form and needed a means (via Nintex Workflow) to determine if each of those controls independently had files uploaded. For instance:

1. Attachments Control 1 has:
    1. someDocument.docx
  2. Attachments Control 2 has:
    1. someImage.png
    2. anotherImage.png

The ItemProperty:Attachments property will give you a boolean (Yes/No) if there are any attachments, but in Josh's case, he needed to know if any (or how many) documents had been uploaded to a specific attachments control in the form.

We started down a call web-service action path initially, but unfortunately the GetAttachmentCollection method doesn't expose which control is associated with each attachment.

However, I was able to accomplish what Josh Henderson was looking for by parsing specific nodes out of the ItemProperty:FormData XML. A Query XML action can be used to retrieve named attachment controls from FormVariables (see screenshot below):

This action results in a text variable output which contains each of your attachments with a semi-colon delimiter (i.e. someImage.png;anotherImage.png). You can then split on the delimiter into a collection, count attachments, and work with as needed. 

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

I somehow understood ‌ needs to validate 3 separate controls on form, but just needs to identify an item has attachment in workflow.  and he haven't explicitly mentioned it should (still) be per single attachment control. maybe a problem of discussing several topic within one thread, I might have advised him to start a new question(s) for new topics and explain the exact requirements.

but ok, my bad

sure, I know which attachment was uploaded with which control could be determined from FormData

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

completely understand! I was responding primarily so that if others find themselves in a similar boat, they won't run into dead-end threads.

Thanks!