cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Need help on copying an item from a List with generic permissions to a list with unique permissions.

Jump to solution

Hello, I am trying to create a workflow that would copy an
item from a list A (with generic permissions) to another list B (with unique
permission) so when a general employee create an item in List A the workflow
will kick start and copy the item onto List B. A list workflow did not work due
to the unique permissions on List B and my scheduled site workflow keep running
into error.. Is there any way to workaround this problem ?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Need help on copying an item from a List with generic permissions to a list with unique permissions.

Jump to solution

Hi seon,

• You are able to move the data from list A to list B right..then you can't able to set your unique permission to list B that your problem right plz correct me if am wrong.
  • your Question is about list workflow or schedule workflow...can you little bit elaborate your problem and share some screenshots like your design and error msgs..
Not applicable

Re: Need help on copying an item from a List with generic permissions to a list with unique permissions.

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for replying

Basically, all i wanted was for every item that is created in List A (which permissions is set to public) to be duplicated (or copied) into List B (which has unique permissions) in an automated workflow (does not require manual trigger). I tried using a list workflow on List A to trigger on item creatio. But if a general employee create in an item on List A, the workflow trigger and errors out on the Copy item workflow action onto List B as the employee does not have the permissions on List B.

As a workaround, i tried the below method with some success, but i wanted an automated solution (where the workflow runs automatically).

Below is the List workflow which i have setup to run when an item in created in List A. Once the approver has marked task as received and updates a field on the item.

List workflow.PNG

Then I will manually run a Site workflow which will perform the copy of item from List A to List B. The Site workflow will query the list and copy and update field for each item.

Site workflow.PNG

THe problem with this workaround is that if i schedule the site workflow to run at certain intervals, it will also error out and i am not sure what the reason was. (i believe it is again due to the permissions). However if i run the site workflow manually, it will work perfectly.

Is there anyway to get an automated solution on my problem without getting it to be too complicated?

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can anyone assist me with my above issue ?

Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Sean,

Workflows run under the ID of the user who initiates it. If I understand correctly, you have an approval workflow that runs when an item is created. Then at a later time, a site workflow runs that you want to move the item to a new list. Does the user account that published the site workflow have at least contribute permission to the new list with unique permissions? If not, you can either grant that account the appropriate permission or use the "Run as workflow owner"  option on the Common tab of the Copy Item step and publish the workflow with an account that does have the appropriate permission on the new list.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Kevin,

May I ask, how to find this Run as workflow owner option and how to define the workflow owner? I checked the Copy Item settings and I can't see it:

Screenshot - 2015-10-06 , 12_30_59.jpg

Best Regards

Artur

Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

You are correct. That is not an option for the Copy Item action. You can put the Copy Item action within an Action Set item and set the Run as Workflow owner option there:

View solution in original post