Filtering Values on a calculated Choice field using a LookUp from a second list.

• 1 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +7

I did use this post as a reference: https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/How-do-I-filter-the-values-in-a-choice-column-with-nintex-forms/m-p/21432/highlight/false#M17755

I used the solution above on a form I am working on.  In the post Chris mentions that for the main category selection ("Meals") "You could make this more dynamic by using a lookup field if you want" in his post.  So I went ahead and created a third column where the value of the choice field is calculated, since you cannot do a list lookup on a choice field.

I was able to pull the data but not the way I was expecting.  I think I need to filter it but not sure how.

I have a main list called Web Delivery.  The second list is called WDSubCategories.  The "Request Type" is the main category choices.  Someone chooses a Request Type which then filters the secondary list "Sub Category Type" which is a list lookup on the WDSubCategories list.

I can get it to work correctly when the Request Type choice field is in the main list (WebDelivery).

5247iD627B87785E0377B.png

If I do a list lookup for the calculated field in the second list (so I don't have to maintain the choice field in 2 different lists), this is what is presented:

5248iBCD9B37EF19FE345.png

Would anyone know how to filter this so I only see 1 type each?

4 replies

Badge +12

@DinaF ....try this

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/Cascading-dropdown-selections-not-always-working/m-p/102228/highlight/true#M70503

Badge +7

Thank you.  I did review the post.  While I can understand how you are doing this, I don't think it's easily understood or easy for others to update and maintain.  I prefer the 2 list approach, as it's easier for others to understand and maintain.

Badge +12

@DinaF .....if that's the case then for each level you'll need to create a sepearte list for list lookup.

Badge +7

That doesn't make sense to me!  Did you read the post link that I mentioned above?  If I can filter the subcategory (which works exactly as stated in the post link), there should be a way to filter the main category to 1 choice each:

Main List:

5253iF7F12539AD2F6B64.png

Secondary List:

5255i2F925F771A8B9604.png

At this point, I am going to create a third list for the "RequestType" and do a list LookUp from that list to the main list.

I accomplish the following by doing it this way:

*  I maintain the RequestType in 1 list

*  I maintain the SubCateogries in 1 list

*  I do a list lookup to both lists from the Main list for each.

I believe this is the best solution.