Sorry something went wrong error, when try to access manage workflow inventroty from gear icon of site

Badge +7

Hello guys,

When I tried accessing the mange workflow inventory page for a sub site, the SP return sorry something went wrong screen.

I troubleshoot the log files with the correlation id, but couldn't find the reason for this.

Here is the error log details: Application error when access /_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/WorkflowGallery.aspx, Error=The wait operation timed out

Error establishing database connection. SQL Error: -2.: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out

Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out -
-- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I checked database setup, and no upgrade option is available, so I'm assuming my db's are up to date. And when I see the manage database mappings, the  DB which was for my site where I'm seeing the error: was not mapped to any specific nintex db, it is showing any available workflow content database option from dropdown.

But for a while back, I was able to access the manage workflows page without any issues. But I observed this behavior on a site, and later today I found it on another site from different site collection. I'm afraid that it may happen with other sites too. Any help would be much appreciated.

We are on Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.1.7.0) - English and DB version: 3.1.0.0

Thanks,

Soni

6 replies

Badge +6

Hi Soni

Did you ever got to resolve this issue at all? I have the same problem in my environment. I have many workflows in different site collection but the one in default site collection is suddenly giving me this error and it has been working all along.

Regards

Bhuti

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi!

can you access the workflow gallery from within central administration?

Can you try updating Nintex Workflow to the current 3.2.0.0 and perform a DB update if needed?

How many workflows do you have within your workflow database?

Do workflows operate normally besides of the gallery?

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +7

Thank You Enrico for helping!

We are on version 3.1.7.0; Upgrading to 3.2.0.0 will help in resolving this error?

We have 369 workflows on farm. And I can say all workflows are running just fine, only accessing the workflow gallery from site actions menu is a problem,

also view history option for a few workflows is giving sorry something went wrong when list items count is huge.

If there is any solution, please advise me.

Thank You,

Soni

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hey Soni,

upgrading to the newest update available is never a bad idea with Nintex products as they continually remove bugs and issues. I am not sure if it will help with your specific problem.

Right now I'd assume that you have to much items in your workflow history list. Could you go to your site, where most of your workflows are, open site settings -> manage workflow history lists and let us know how many lists and items in them you see there? The amount shouldn't be too high (maximum a few thousands if you never added an index or something here) to keep performance of workflows high.

Second thought is to purge unused workflow data to clean up a bit. To do this, go to Central Admin -> Nintex Workflow Management -> Purge Workflow Data

From there just hit "Query" to find all entries of workflow data, which lists has been deleted and delete the entries afterwards. How many entries did id delete?

If you want to cleanup even further, you could stay on the same screen but hit "use custom filter" and set a filter to delete maybe everything older than last year with this query:

198158_pastedImage_1.png

Run Query and if needed delete the queried items afterwards.

Is all this changing the behaviour you experience?

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +7

Hi Enrico,

The site where I'm facing issue has 0 items on workflow history list!

We already did the purging operation which you shown.

I will perform workflow upgrade operation to latest version, I will update you if it resolves the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Soni,

0 is strange. Please check again after you did the update. If you purged the data, updated Nintex and still face the same issues I'd suggest you open a ticket at Nintex to have a look with a technical expert for further review.

Sorry I couldn't help you with this.

Kind regards,

Enrico