By Nintex WF how can we know a file uploaded into SharePoint is new or modified?

• 29 February 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi All

Is there anyway to distinguish a file in SP List is new or modified?

Thanks

Huy

5 replies

Badge +7

Hi Huy,

With a new file that is uploaded SharePoint always creates the Created and Modified dates.  These are time stamped.  So if you compare these two fields on a item you should be able to see if it was modified or created.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Badge +1

Hi Francois

SharePoint set an item as Modified status if any of its properties (columns) is modified but not the document file itself.

For eg: My Document SP List has 4 columns (Name, Document Description, Modified By, Created By) in which Name is the link to the uploaded document. If I modify the Document Description then SharePoint understands that item is modified. I am looking for a way to know if a uploaded document is updated or not.

Thanks,

Huy

Badge +16

could you use out of the box SharePoint versioning to see the version number of the uploaded document and decide if new or updated? 

Badge +7

Hi Huy,

Sorry, I misunderstood your requirement.  You want to see if someone made changes to the actual document?

If you switch on version history, the version will update if you change metadata or if you change the document.  So if the title is changed the version will also change.  I don't know of way to do that with normal workflows unless you use some compare script to do that.

Badge +16

feels like a bit of a fudge (but sometimes with nintex you have to fudge) but what if you compared the version and the file size in the conditional start?  it may not always work if the file size isn't impacted by the modification to the document, but like Francois Crous​ says, I don't know how you would distinguish between a document update and a properties update in the version comparison?