Can you set item level permissions in lists?

• 24 October 2018
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I am attempting to set item level permissions in a list. Here is what I currently have set.

It appears to apply the permissions correctly. When I check the list I see permissions exceptions for the item which correspond to the permission level assigned. The end user in the Assigned To field cannot view the item. What am I missing? Is this level of item permission level setting supported in standard or task lists?

4 replies

Badge +3

is the user facing permission issue, when responding to a task based item modification, like in a workflow step? because if so, then you need to add contribute or edit permission for the user on "Workflow Task list", as well.

Badge +1

Good question. This is just about the list item itself.

Badge +1

Does the user have site access?  A user will not see list items if they do not have site access.  They only need read access to the site.  Also ensure your not using SharePoint permission groups inside of SharePoint permission groups because that will not work.  It is best to use AD groups inside of SharePoint permission groups.

Badge +4

If you want them to modify the item they need to be added to permissions of the list not just the item.