Query User Profile - Alternative action?

• 30 March 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi!  Is there an alternative to the "Query User Profile" if you don't have access to that action?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Patricia -

It depends on what you're looking for.

For example, if you're looking to find the email or display name, you could just use the "Set Variable" options. I think that would work.

What do you need to do?

Cheers,

Rhia

Badge +3

Hi Rhia - yes, I'm looking to find the users identified as reviewers and approvers in a column, this information feeds into a state machine to start either a review or an approval workflow.  I hope that makes sense, I'm very new to this!!!

Thanks for getting back to me!

Tricia

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you need to get into these user UserProfile data? For example using "Web request" action to call REST API?

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Alright! So, let me get the idea here:

Somewhere, you have a list - there is a reviewer column, and an approver column.

In the reviewer column might be "Rhia", and in the approver column, "Patricia".

In your workflow state machine, it sounds like you want to:

a) look at the name sent to it

b) query the list columns to see if the user is a REVIEWER or an APPROVER

c) take action based on that.

Is that right?

Or are you looking to perform some other action?

Badge +3

Yes!  Have attached screenshots of the template workflow I'm working on.  Perhaps I'm just complicating things and it's better to have separate review and approval workflows?  The intention is to have, for the review cycle "no comments" and "comments submitted" by those identified in the Reviewer column of the document library.  For the approval cycle, "approved" or "rejected with comments", with the end result being either resubmission or the document checked in and status changed to "approved".

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I think one workflow will work fine for this, from what I can see.

So you are doing this right now:

• QUP for reviewer and approver first & last name;
  • State machine - start at review;
  • Flexi task - change permissions on reject or approve
  • If rejected, notify & end state machine
  • If approved, go to next state
  • Flexi-task - change permissions on reject or approve
  • Both have similar paths after that - to end the workflow.

And you're saying that you don't have access to the QUP?

You don't necessarily need the First & Last name to use it for Flexi-task, if that's what you're trying to get.

If you want to get display name, you can use Set Variable this way:

In this scenario, I look at the column for the row (User Manager), and then I use those little 3 dots to the right, and I have the option to say how I want to display that Person Field -- Display Name, Email Address, Login Name, or User ID Number.

Does that help at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Patricia!

Has Rhia's answer helped you to solve your issue? If so, please mark it as correct happy.png

If not, please provide us with additional questions.

Regards,

Tomasz