Multiple notifications sent instead of a single notification

• 24 October 2017
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

Hello all, I will try to explain my problem with the aid of the snags below, the actions above are working properly, the request is submitted, the approver is notified, the approval is completed, the new record is created (in another list) and the submitter is notified that their request was approved. The actions below work until It gets to the notification and multiple emails are sent for the same item. I have tried placing a "RunIf" And a "Wait for item Update" and half a dozen other actions in front of the Send Notification and nothing works. Any help with troubleshooting this would be much appreciated

6 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

The multiple notifications - do they definitely come from the "Send Notification" control under the "20 Conditional Updates" action set? What else occurs in that action set? What do the Edit and New branches sit under? Can you see in the workflow history that this notification control is being triggered multiple times and does it happen all at once or is there a time difference between each send?

We will need more info to help.

Also, as far as the top snip goes, I would move all the create item actions to the branch of your condition, as there is no point having them after the condition concludes. The items should only get created on the yes branch as you are ending the workflow on the no branch. 

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +3

Thanks Mark, 1. Yes the notifications are from the last Send action notifying the user that the changes they submitted were applied. 2. The action set consists of 20 Run If's inside a Run Parallel Actions, Each Run If has an Update List Item that matches list items on ProjectNumber=ProjectNumberDDlist, for example (If NewProjectName IsNotBlank then Update ProjectName). 3. The Edit And New branch are part of a "Switch" action. 4. After the first email arrives it takes maybe 30 seconds or so for the next one, then the rest arrive one after the other. I have to have this workflow fire on New Item and Modified item because of the approval process that's built into my form. So here is a rough flow; User Submits, ApproverNotified, Approver Approves, Changes to the secondary list are applied. In the secondary list another work flow fires and updates the primary list. The column in the primary list is "ChangesApplied" I use this column to trigger the final email which notifies the submitter of the approval. It all works start to finish on the "New" side of the workflow. It seems like I should be able to send the final notification based on a condition or RunIF but the workflow seems to ignore the condition. Thanks for any help

Badge +3

I have this working by Pausing the workflow after the update items action set. After looking at the "New" branch of the workflow (the part of the workflow that was working) I noticed there was an And in the condition. So for new items it was (FormStatus=Approved AND ItemCreated=No) and for existing items I modified the "Edit" existing project branch of the workflow to the condition of (FormStatus=Approved AND ItemChanged=No) then the items get updated, and then a Pause for duration, then a RunIf the current record ID matches the ID of the record in the secondary list (Project Data). I know this whole effort might seem a bit whacky but I had to come up with a solution where the users could not edit the project list directly and a new project number had to be generated by the workflow. I designed an approval form library and a Project Inventory list so the form library + workflows handle adding new projects and editing existing projects. I had this working in SharePoint Designer and was tasked to create the same in Nintex. That said I wish there was another way to make this work without a pause.

Badge +6

Perhaps a "Commit Pending Changes" action rather than the pause?

Badge +3

Thanks Mark I will try that, and let you know if it helps, I have a pause in the primary workflow and a pause in the secondary workflow so it's taking about 8 min to complete. The upside is that it's working.

Badge +3

I am having the same issue. My workflow is more simple though. When a new item is added to a list (with approval required), a notification is sent to the site admins. The workflow then pauses until the approval status of the submission is no longer "Pending". It then takes actions based on the selected approval status. But the first notification is sent multiple times instead of just the once.

Has anyone been able to find a resolution for this?