Sub Workflow Not Completing

Badge +1

I've passed off a bit of work to a subworkflow as to not convolute the viewflow that the users will care about too much. Unfortunately, when I call this subworkflow, it never completes, even after completing all of the steps successfully.

For example, the screenshot below shows the subworkflow having completed the only task that is required of it, yet it very clearly shows to still be running. Because of this, the workflow that calls the subworkflow never passes beyond the task where it calls the subworkflow. If anyone could provide some guidance here or has had similar issues, a bit of instruction would be fantastic.

Thanks!

17204i0BE1E37BA9DD586A.png

3 replies

Badge +9

Hi,

There are couple of things which you need to check here.

There are 2 ways where you can use an IPC,

ASynchronous call - where the parent work flow will go ahead after calling the child workflow.

Synchronous Call - Where the parent workflow will wait till the child workflow is complete. 

So as per the issue that you are facing, i think you are making a Synchronous call in IPC. 

1. Now you can try making it an asynchronous call and see the process flow, to confirm whether the issue is at parent workflow or child workflow.

2. See whether the IPC Activity has any Succeding rules set.

3. Check whether the activity following IPC activity has any preceeding rule.

4. Check the line rules after IPC Activity.

Please try them and see if you find any thing.

Regards,

VJay.

Badge +1

VJay,

Thanks for the reply!

The main workflow is calling the subworkflow, waiting for it to complete (async), and never completing because the subworkflow hangs up and never finishes.

There are no line rules in the subworkflow and right now it only has a basic email rule as I wanted to remove all complexity. All tasks complete but the workflow never marks itself as complete, hence the reason why the main workflow never completes either. The main workflow hasn't heard from the subworkflow that it has completed it's tasks, so it's just waiting around to hear something from the subworkflow, if you will.

Anyways, this seems like a bug in the system so opening a ticket with K2 is likely my best alternative. I thought it was worth reaching out to the community first to see if anyone else had experienced this issue.

Badge +10

I have run into this in the past buts its been the case of 1 in 1000 or something like that.  I suspect its a problem that happens at the database level which caused the sub workflow to not end and not any problem in the workflow design or inputs.

We ended up using the GOTO in the parent workflow to move the workflow ahead so it could continue.  However, depending on your workflow design that may not work so if you decide to go that route test it out in dev first.

Also if K2 comes up with a solution we'd love to hear it.