Repeating section: Getting values from new row at runtime

Badge +7

I have a repeating section that is bound to a list column (multi line, plain text). I parse the XML at runtime and am able to use the repeating section values in a workflow.

What I'm wanting to do is pick up the value of one drop down list in the repeating section at runtime. If the user selects "remove from service" from the drop down list, I want to display a panel that shows the various fields related to this action. Is there a way to get at this input at runtime? I know I could parse the XML for this in a workflow, but I want to get the user to supply the information at runtime, not after the fact in a workflow. 

216686_pastedImage_1.png

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

is the panel within the same repeater row?

or is it outside of repeater?

if it's within the repeater row, simple formatting rule assigned to the panel that checks value of Status dropdown and based on it shows or hides the panel should work.

Badge +7

Currently I have a panel with the repeater. And I have a panel for the "remove from service" controls (there are a lot of fields here). Would it be better to move the panel for removal inside the panel that houses the repeater?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

to be honest, I'm quite confused with your reply...

Currently I have a panel with the repeater

should have it been panel within (inside) repeater (row)?

or should have it been repeater is within (inside) of a panel?

And I have a panel for the "remove from service" controls (there are a lot of fields here)

it still doesn't clarify whether the panel is within (inside) repeater (row) or outside of it.

Would it be better to move the panel for removal inside the panel that houses the repeater?

I do not know what's your business case and requirements. I cannot judge what's better for you.

from implementation point of view, the easiest would be if  "panel for the remove from service" is within repeater (row). then the above suggestion would apply.

if it's outside of repeater (regardless of whether it's in common panel with repeating section's enclosing panel or not) then there pops up plenty of doubts how should it exactly work. imagine you have several rows within repeating section but only one outside panel. several repeating section rows may have "remove service' status. which row all of these should the panel out of repeating section should be related to? you can add and remove rows to/from repeating section, what should happen with the panel? and data within its child controls? you may change status dropdown back and forth, what should happen with the panel? and data within its child controls?

etc, etc, etc.