Weekly summary email workflow

• 21 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I'm very new to all this, so apologies if this is a bit simple of me.....

I need to create a site workflow (I think), which runs once a week (on a Friday), and emails a list of people the events for the following day (it's a weekend duty rota).

All I want to get is the Title, Start Date and End Date. 

The data looks like this (it's in a Sharepoint calendar):

1097iDE7D656DAEA1FD5D.png

I'd like the email to be something like:

"The duty rota for the weekend 23/03/2019 to 24/03/2019 is as follows:

Security - blah blah

Fleet - blah blah

DPA - blah blah

Production - blah blah"

I've seen some workflows where summary emails are done but I can't work out how to get it to work for this (what I think should be fairly simple) scenario.....could someone please give me some pointers (or better still examples)!

Thanks!

2 replies

Badge +7

Hello,

Yes, you will need a site workflow that kicks of every Friday. 

1. You need to identify the tasks for the weekend.  So to do this, you will need a Query list action  that will filter on Start date bigger than Current Date and End date smaller than Monday.  This will then be saved to a collection.  I personnaly prefer to save the ID field in the collection so that I know exactly which field to work with.

2. To work with the Collection you need a For Each action.  The For each action with take the tasks one by one.  First action in your for each would be a query list again but this time you are using each ID one at a time and getting the Title field and maybe the body field or even an assigned to field. There is a lot of different ways that the tasks can be displayed with varying degrees of difficulty. :smileyhappy:

3. Send notification - outside of the For Each, you can perform a Send notification action that will send all the details to the list of people.  

This is very highlevel. Let me know where you get stuck.

Kind regards,

Francois Crous

Badge +1

I solved it like this:

Calculate tomorrows date

From that - get the next days items (query list where start date = tomorrow and return to a collection variable)

1883i85D8864724BB266F.png

Loop through each item, and retrieve the values you want to put in the email.

Add these to a string for the email.

1885iECBE0A90A1F212A4.png

Remove time from date/time to just display the date.

Place names on new lines (formatting issue)

If values are present (ie there are some records found) then send an email.

1884iA1EC515C885B4737.png