Cloning Documents In The Library

• 13 November 2014
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +6

I have a project where I need to take a word document in a library and based on a choice column, replicate it amongst different options. Basically something like Save As where I can change the name of the new document and I need to use Nintex Workflow to automate the cloning of the document. Any ideas please I would appreciate it.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Bhuti,

after you have the logic in the workflow that figures out if need to clone it, you should be able to use the Copy to SharePoint action to copy the document from one location to another.

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +6

Hi Vadim,

I have tried that but the problem is the document get copied with exactly the same name. Also while copying the document, you don't have an option to change one of it's metadata/fields because if I could do that then I could run a work flow as soon as it is copied and rename it.

Maybe Nintex need to think about a clone document action which will allow you to enter a new name for the cloned document.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Bhuti,

what about changing the name of the document after it is copied and also updating the metadata fields after the copy also?

Once that is done, if you need a workflow to run on that document, you can use the Call Web Service action to call the StartWorkflowOnListItem or StartWorkflow web method in the Nintex Workflow web service.

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +6

I will think about that and try it today and will revert back here.

Regards

Bhuti

Badge +6

Vadim Tabakman I found a better way to clone documents. I use Qorus document automation so the best thing to do was to figure out when I need to clone the document using a certain field and create a final list item using nintex workflow with the different fund name per record and each record creates a document and then I have my 10 documents which have the same content except for the fund name and fund code.

Thank you for your help, and your speedy reply, really appreciate it.

Regards

Bhuti