Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Making the workflow wait

Jump to solution

Hello Friends,

Using Wait for item update action, I'm making the workflow wait till the user updates some information and the problem here is I can configure only one column. However, in the list, there's no guarantee that user would be updating only that specified column. There are 4 columns in the list and user can update any one of the columns.

So how can configure the workflow to check and proceed further if any one of the 4 columns are updated?

Please suggest.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jackgelo
Nintex Newbie

Re: Making the workflow wait

Jump to solution

Hi,

are the four columns the only columns of the item? Could you wait until modified date is changed or there is something else that can change the item when the workflow is waiting for the user interaction?

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Giacomo,

All the 4 columns are part of list item. If I use Wait for item update, this logic is true if I force the user to update the Title column only. However the users should edit and one of the 4 columns

0 Kudos
jackgelo
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

you can save Modified Date in a variable just before the wait for item update action and then in that action, you could set it to wait for Modified to be not equal to your variable..

If the user modify any columns, the Modified field will change, indipendent of the column modified.

Giacomo

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Giacomo,

That was the first thing I tried But it would not work because when the workflow moves from one phase to another, no matter if the changes are made or not, the Modified Date will change. This defeats the purpose of using the Modified option

0 Kudos
jackgelo
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

that's why in my first answer I've asked you if there is something else that could modify the item while the workflow waits..

is there any parallel action that could modify the item during the wait for item update action? is there any other workflow that runs on that item at the same time?

if you set a variable to the modified time just before the wait for item update action, what could change the modified date that is not a modification of one column of the item? If I understand well, the workflow is waiting so it doesn't any change (unless you have parallel actions or other workflows)

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Jump to solution

I'm with Giacomo here. If there's no parallel logic in the workflow, during the wait, then simply get the modified value just before the Wait action.  Then do the Wait until modified doesn't not equal your datetime variable.

If there is parallel logic, then just before your wait, query the item for the 4 fields and the modified field (into 5 variables).  Then have your wait in a Loop.  When the modified field changes, the wait will stop.  Then compare your 4 fields to your 4 variables to see if something has changed.  If not, got back through the loop, get the modified value again and go back to Wait.

I made a quick post about this : Nintex Workflow - Wait for Item Change - Vadim Tabakman

cheers,

Vadim

kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Niiiiiice one Vadim! I like that!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Giacomo Gelosi Thank you for your suggestions

Oh my god Vadim Tabakman that was super awesome. It worked like a charm and  your video tutorial indeed helped me

Thank you very much

0 Kudos