Access Denied

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

All,

Initially a user has Contribute access to a list.

They can create an item in the library.

A workflow runs and does the following permission change:

Looking then at the item just created after the workflow has run the employee is listed individually with Contribute - No Delete rights.

The employee can see the item created in the list, put cannot open the item.

They receive an access denied message.

On the form itself there are a few drop down lists which connect to other lists on the same site, the employee view those lists and items.

The url which shows the access denied message points to DispForm.aspx, yet opening an item up as me, I can then see who the DispForm.aspx item is shared with. The employee is listed there with contribute no delete.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Andrew,

seems like a problem with the custom permission level. Can you make sure the option to view application pages is ticked? If not try to switch it on and check again.

204068_pastedImage_1.png

If it's already ticket it would be helpful to see the configuration of your custom permission level.

Best regards

Enrico

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Custom permission is as follows:

Thanks,

Thanks

A

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmm, that seems to be good.

In your first screenshot I see that you also give the same permission to another person or group of people. Do they face the same behaviour?

For testing purposes could you also try to give read permission for your employee on the list that holds the item?

Best regards

Enrico

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

The full control is to my Site Owners group, the second blank is a custom SP group. they don't have the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

No I meant the other group/user that you give contribute permission in your action.

Also did you try giving your employee read permissions to the list? Or could you provide a screenshot of the lists permissions settings?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi the other contribute entry is a bespoke SharePoint group - Members of that group are OK - phew.

Default list permissions are:

Technology Support Visitors include all users - NT AUTHORITYauthenticated users

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Oh how the plot thickens...

Playing around.

Permissions might all be OK.

In the SharePoint list, if I open the item by pressing the item title, the item doesn't display.

If I right click on the list item and select either view or edit the item it opens up ?

Ermmmm ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmmm, not sure what's going on inside that list.

A good try might be to find out which resource is causing the access denied. You can pick the Correlation ID of the access denied message and check ULS logs on the SharePoint Server. Maybe the error message there reveals what causes the problem.

Badge +16

Have you changed anything in list settings - you know that setting something like only creator can view and edit their own items? Not at screen to get exact wording but I know that conflicts with permissions inside a workflow too. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Cassy,

Thanks I've checked here too. All seems as I expect.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

All,

Thanks for your help and assistance.

Sometimes I really hate my environment.

I've moved NT AUTHORITYauthenticated users out of an SP group at the top site level, so authenticated users now sits on its own.

Now my workflow and permissions are working in tandem and as expected.

- banging head against a wall - I don't understand, but working.

Andrew

Badge +16

So can this thread be marked as answered?