Automatically add a task into the timeline

Badge +4

Dear all,

I have a client requierement asking for adding the tasks automatically on the timeline each time a new task is created.

I have a Nintex worklfow that is creating tasks on a task list when a user create a new "project" on another list. The tasks are well created on the task list, but... Do you know if there's a way to automatically show up the new tasks into the timeline?

The client don't want to be forced to manually add the tasks each time a new one is generated by the workflow.

And yes, I've already found this post, but completelly useless due the explanation of the followed procedure is really bad.

Dinusha's Blog: Programmatically add tasks to timeline in SharePoint 2013 Tasks list

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

7 replies

Badge +11

Hi Ignasi,

I agree, the explanation of the blog post you referenced is really bad! But I think you can't call csom code from a Nintex Workflow anyway (I wouldn't know how).

The easiest way would probably to create an event receiver. Would this be an option for your customer and are you authorized to implement an event receiver?

Regards

Philipp

Badge +8

I'm going to bookmark this thread, really curious if the community has a solution on this one!

I've been baffled by this issue as well and am really surprising that adding a new task to the SharePoint timeline isn't the default behavior or at least configurable.

Badge +17

There isn't a way to do this as its not part of the content type for the tasks but is using Javascript to make the call to add that to the timeline web part.  How odd is that????

I've seen this before but am not sure how to do it, but perhaps use JavaScript to mimic a mouseclick on the UI.  The call is 13 steps after the Task tab... if anyone is interested.

Badge

Hi

I am new to NinTex and what I'm suggesting is currently not within my skill set (so no solution here), but this article...

Creating attractive emails with HTML tables in Nintex | Habanero Consulting Group 

...talks about using Nintex to display list items in HTML/CSS tables or varible width DIVs

My idea is to hide the default Sharepoint timeline and replace it with a HTML/CSS table/div solution. Why not display each task item in a row on a table or a separate DIV where the column/div width is a % based on #days for task / % days of project

I'm guessing each task would be 3 columns/ or 3 inline divs

Column 1 = # days from beginning of project to 1st day of task

Column 2 = #days from beginning of task to end of task

Column 3 = #days from end of task to end of project

|-------------------|

|-----|

|-----------|

|----------|

I'm being lazy here, but

- PROJECT is the width of the full timline = # days of the project

- BEFORE% is the % based on # days between start of project and start of task over the # of days for the project

- TASK% is the % based on # days between start of task and end of task over the # of days for the project

- AFTER% is the % based on # days between end of task and end of project over the # of days for the project

<div style="width: 100%;">
<div style="float: left; width: BEFORE%;">BEFORE TASK</div>
<div style="float: left; width: TASK%;">TASK</div>
<div style="float: left; width: AFTER%;">AFTER TASK</div>
<br style="clear: left;" />
</div>

I am guessing with this level of control, tasks could then be coloured coded to show which tasks

- are overdue in red

- on track in green

- yet to start but no overdue in blue

- not started but due to start in yellow

- etc

Just another thought

I guess this would also allow for the DIV containers to allow include the name of the task either inside the DIV or to the side

On top of all this, I'm guess there would need to be 1 row to label, position of today date which would be a 1 day width DIV using the same mechanics as the task DIVs

And maybe one or more rows to list milestones(?)

Ok, so does this idea have merit, can anything that actually has the right skills package this into something useful for the rest of us?

Regards

Michael

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi ‌,

I would say your question is completely out of topic of this thread.

I would encourage you to start brand new question/topic.

you can tag me in there and I can provide some thoughts, here it wouldn't make too much sense.

Badge

Marian,

I would have to disagree with you about my response being "completely out of topic".

This topic is discussing how to add tasks to timelines automatically. From my own reading, I have discovered the same thing here that other people have mention;

1. There appears to be no out of the box solution in Sharepoint
  2. Current workarounds involve javascript that manipulates Sharepoint timeline code

So my post is directly addressing the topic about tasks and timelines with an alternatively workaround which uses Nintex construct an alternative to the stock Sharepoint timeline.

Regards

Michael

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I understood original question as problem of adding task to timeline.

your problem sounds to me to be matter of customizing timeline itself (aka. tasks are already listed on timeline)

btw, wouldn't it be sufficient to use gantt chart view on task list rather then hardly customize timeline?