cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Looping Workflow

Good day,

I have a workflow that has a flex task in it. Once the user completes the task they will get a notification and the workflow should complete.  For some reason, that I cannot figure out, the workflow will start over again and prompt the user a second time to complete the task.  Once the task is completed a second time, the workflow completes.  I'm not sure what is causing this or how to fix it.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Looping Workflow

mHi,

is there a State Machine and is the Flexi Task inside a State of the State Machine? If yes, is there a Change State action in that branch that moves to a different state or exit the state machine?

If there is no Change State action inside a state of a state machine, and that state is executed, once it's ended the default behaviour is to start it again, that's why you need at least a Change State action

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

No, I do not have a State Machine setup.  I'll research how to set that up and give it a try.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

If you don't have a State Machine, you don't need to set it up to try..it was just my first thought on what could cause the loop..

Could you share a screenshot of your workflow design?

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

The workflow is to run anytime an item is created or updated.  Once the user completes the task the list is updated and two notifications are sent to the required parties.  I've gone as far as adding the end workflow step, but it has not prevented the workflow from looping and sending the task again.  I do have a reminder setup with in the task, but it not to trigger until 14 days business days after the initial notification and no response has been received.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

ok..probably looking at what you've written, the workflow isn't looping but simply there is a new instance that is starting on every modification (have a look on workflow history, are there several instances of the same workflow?)

because you have a run if at the beginning, could you try to exclude also items that have fields set up as in the Update Item action so it doesn't process those items?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Yes, in history of any given list item, it shows the workflow completed and then started again.  I'm not sure I follow you - "exclude also items that fields set up as in the Update Item"?  Can you explain?   

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

After approval, you're updating some columns in the list items..could you use the field you've updated to add other exclusion to the run if?

For example, assuming you're setting a column named "Status" to "Approved", is it possible to set the Run if condition to verify that Status is not equal to "Approved"?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Ah, now I follow.  Yes, the work flow is to check if the Approval status is not Approved.  It is setup to check if that particular field set to requested.  See below:

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Ok, and are you already updating that field in the Update Item action after the Flexi Task in order to have a different value? 

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply