installation onto x64 Virtual Server

• 1 December 2009
  • 6 replies

Badge +9

I have an existing install of K2 on a 32 bit machine.

I am now looking at upgrading my Sharepoint farm to 64bit hardware, and am trying to get K2 workspace and MOSS components installed onto the new 64 bit machine.

The configuration wizard keeps failing with the following errors:
"753","2009-12-01 09:51:20","Error","15","15002","ERROR","K2 blackpearl Configuration Manager","15002 K2 MOSS Components error: Input string was not in a correct format.","anonymous","0.0.0.0","MYSERVERNAME","753","21fdd3ecf05541ff98cc6761b08ad40a",""

"757","2009-12-01 09:51:20","Error","15","15002","ERROR","K2 blackpearl Configuration Manager","15002 K2 Workspace error: Input string was not in a correct format.","anonymous","0.0.0.0","MYSERVERNAME","757","5f9e2dd38e5442079d73acb07b55c79c",""

Also, when I run the install, it installs the files into the location "C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearl" which seems a bit strange, as I would have expected it to install the 64 bit version...

So a couple of questions:
1. Can anyone help me with resolving the above error?
2. Is the 64bit version installing? If not, how do I force the 64 bit version to install? How do I tell if the 64bit or the 32bit versions are installed?

that may be more than a couple of questions....

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

K2 installs to the (x86) folder even if is it a 64bit installation. Most of the files installed are developed for “any cpu” there are some files that need to be 64bit like the hostserver, but if the 32bit file is installed the server will not start up at all.

Hope this answers at least some of your questions.

vernon

Badge +9

Hi Vernon, Thanks very much for getting back to me

That is good to know that it installs into the x86 directory - puts my mind somewhat at rest.

I am only installing the workspace and the MOSS components on the 64 bit server (the k2 server components are still on the existing 32 bit machine), so I can't check if the server is going to start. I will just have to assume that the correct components are installed I guess?

Any ideas on the error messages that I am getting? I can't seem to browse to the k2workspace, as the website does not seem to be configured properly as a result of these errors when the configuration manager runs I guess....

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Can you access the workspace site form IIS? What version of Blackpearl are you trying to configure? At what point in the configuration does it fail? Can you please check if there are any relevant errors in the latest update and configuration logs in the [INSTALLDIR]configurationlogs folder?

vernon

Badge +9

Hi Vernon,

Thanks very much for your suggestions!

I have now managed to get the configuration wizard to work - as usual, it came down to user error - I was using the 807 installer K2 blackpearl 0807 (4.8210.2.0), which apparently is not compatible with 64 bit architeture. I have now managed to install correctly with K2 blackpearl 0807 (4.8210.3.0), and the configuration wizard has completed successfully.

So now onto the next error...
I am now getting a 403.1 Forbidden: Access is denied error when I try to browse to the workspace. From the HTTP status codes, this appears to be because the user does not have execute permissions on the scripts, however the user I am trying with is an admin on this machine

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Has anyone else encoutnered these problems when trying to setup K2 on a Windows Server 2008 64 bit machine (runs IIS 7 - not sure how much impact this has...)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Please check which user gets passed through to the K2Server, run the server in console mode. I suspect that NT:Authority Anonymous gets passed through. If this is the case verify that you don’t have duplicate SPN’s and that authentication is set to Windows integrated on the site.

You can also check the IE settings; Make sure the site is added under 'Trusted Sites' on your remote machine and set the Security levels for this zone to LOW.  Open Custom level and go right down to the bottom, under User Authentication make sure the radio button is in the “Automatically logon with current user..”. Also, under Advanced   Internet Options, make sure 'Enable Integrated Windows Authentication (requires restart)' is checked under security.

The following might be helpful:

http://www.k2underground.com/blogs/blacktop/archive/2009/12/07/iis-7-kerberos-and-the-checkbox-of-doom.aspx

HTH

Vernon

Badge +9

Hi Vernon,

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate you helping me out with this....

The problem I was encountering here meant that the K2 server wasn't getting hit at all - turns out that the ASPX pages were not being served at all on this site.

I have finally managed to resolve this - it turns out that I had to manually edit the applicationhost.config file to ensure that the site was allowed to run scripts.

For the site that the K2workspace is running on, I had to change the following line from
<handlers accessPolicy="Read" />
to
<handlers accessPolicy="Read, Script" />

A trap for young players! In IIS6, you could set this through the properties of the website by setting the "Execute Permissions" to Scripts (or Scripts and Executables) on the Home Directory tab. In IIS7, if the application pool that is running the site is using "Classic" as the Managed Pipeline Mode, then you can't set it through the GUI, but have to directly update the applicationhost.config file (located at  %SystemDrive%/Windows/System32/inetsrv/config)

Very annoying - I sort of figured it would be something simple - it was just a matter of working out how to track it down!

Again - thanks very much for your assistance with this - I really appreciate your time!! Thanks also for the link to the checkbox of doom - I will keep that in mind if I start getting blue screens!