Access to Sharepoint Object Model

Badge +2

Hi we have a distributed set up with several MOSS web front ends and k2 on it's own server.

Consequently all object model calls to sharepoint have to be done via web services.

If we were to make the k2 server a web front end in the sharepoint farm would we be able to get to the sharepoint object model without making web service calls in our workflows?

thanks

jon

3 replies

Badge +11

Is there some aversion to web services? 

Badge +2

Personally yes I am much more at home with the object model rather than the web service interface.

One particular challenge i can think of is getting access to a list in a dynamically generated site.

As it is not possible to get a web reference to this list in c# getting to it is fiddly to say the least....

Badge +9

if you have k2 running on a sharepoint server, you should be able to use the sharepoint object model.

If it was me, I would be pursuing the sharepoint web services - the problem with the sharepoint web services you mention is not really a problem at all - if you have a site that doesn't exist at design time, you can just update the URL when you are running the code.
ie add a reference to the webservice you want to call at design time
at runtime, update the URL of the webservice to be the URL of the dynamically created site
pretty simple really, and ensures that you don't have K2 and sharepoint running on the same server...