Client Event

• 9 March 2007
  • 2 replies

Badge +4
CAN anyone please clarify the followig :

1> What is client event ?
2>What is server event ?
3>What is the difference between the two ?
4> How do can one know where to use client event and where to use server event ?

Sorry cause I am a newbiee that's why I am asking such stupid questions .

Please reply ASAP.

2 replies

Badge +10
Hi,

I would suggest you download the K2.net 2003 Tutorials from the download section on the K2.net customer portal and run through them to give you a better idea on how the software works. (http://portal.k2workflow.com/downloads/tutorial.aspx)

To illustrate this all the definitions below comes directly from these tutorials.
1)
Client Events
Actions within the workflow process that require a workflow participant to do something (human action required)

2)
Server Events
Actions within the workflow process which require a piece of server side code to be executed

3 & 4) A server event is normally used where human participation is not required. The server will process the event and the workflow will continue when the server completes the execution of the code. This could be used when some other system needs to be updated or when data from another system is acquired.
A client event is typically used when a human needs to interact with the process, providing data or making decisions on how the process should progress. A custom form will need to be developed to allow the user to interact with the process. K2.net 2003 can use ASP.Net forms, InfoPath forms or work with thick-client applications to allow humans to participate in the process. The client event needs to be configured to interact with these custom forms in order to retrieve data from them when the human completes the item.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JohanL
Badge +4
Hi JohanL
Thanks .
That was a ripper.