Creating a recurring event in a SharePoint Calendar?

• 15 December 2008
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I have a change request process that is initiated by a user filling out an InfoPath form.  The form asks for data such as the change details, as well as the date and time.  Once the request is approved, the request needs to be entered to a SharePoint Calendar.  I can use the List Item Wizard in K2 to write single, non-recurring events, but the wizard is not capable of handling recurring events.  Do I need to create a Default Server Event and use custom code?  If so, could somebody please point me to the right direction please?  Thanks for the help.

Brian

2 replies

Badge +9

Hi Brian,

What seems to be a simple requirement made me wonder why we don’t support this out of the box, after a little research I came across an article that speaks to this in length: http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/05/14/understanding-the-sharepoint-calendar-and-how-to-export-it-to-ical-format.aspx. After reading this article you will see that it is not as simple as what it should be.

The one link that I found that should be helpful to you is this one: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms434156.aspx this article contains good code samples that should get you going fairly quickly  with your requirement. As for supporting this out of the box in K2 I would think the best approach would be to wrap this in a single event that specifically deals with this scenario. Our current SharePoint List Items event is generic and can deal with any type of list in SharePoint, the one that seems to be a little bit more complex than the rest is defiantly the Calendar. I will pass this info to our development team and see what they can do regarding this.

Hope this info is helpful, feel free to post your progress.

Badge +3

Hi Rénier,

Thank you very much for your prompt response and the useful links.  I will definitely give it a try using the sever event to write to the SharePoint calendar.  It will be interesting to see if the development team can come up with a calendar wizard in the future.  I will definitely post my process in this thread.  Once again thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Brian