Multiple Workflow instances being triggered at same time

• 11 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

I have a simple workflow, which is initiated on item being modified.  The workflow is a Run If to see if the status of the item is Complete.  If it is, it sends out an email to the Creator of the item letting them know it has been completed.  When items are being modified this workflow is running 2 instances at the same time, or even 3 instances at the same.  I decided to recreate the workflow from scratch, thinking the first one was corrupt in some way.  The new workflow is doing the same thing.  One thing to note, if the previous workflow was initiated 2 on modified, the new workflow is initiating twice.  If the previous workflow was initiating 3 times, the new workflow is initiating 3 times.

What is causing this?!  Again, there are actually multiple instances of this workflow being initiated at the same exact time (workflow history screen).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

4 replies

Badge +16

can you show us you starting conditions?

also - can you check list settings > workflow settings > add, remove, block and make sure all old versions are removed or blocked?

Badge +6

Below is a screen shot of my start conditions...Yes on Modified.  I have this workflow, and many others starting with just 'Yes' on Start when modified, as Conditional starts only work intermittently.  This is the only workflow, that initiates multiple instances at the same time when an item is modified.

There is only 1 version of this workflow, and is set to Allow.  The old workflow has been completely deleted.  This new workflow still generates multiple instances at the same time when an item is modified.

Thank you,

Badge +6

I am posting another update, that workflows are being triggered multiple times.  This occurs only sometimes when a change is made to a workflow.  When an item is modified, all available workflows are being triggered mutiple times within the same minute.

The above is just a snap shot of everything that was initiated at 8:23 AM.  Multiple instances of the same workflow are triggered in the above snap shot.

What is causing this to happen?  Why are all the available workflows being initiated multiple times, within the same minute when an item is modified?

Again, this isn't happening for all requests.  Additionally, it seems to only happen after a workflow is modified, but even then this occurrence does not happen every time a workflow is modified.  It is completely random.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

add a puase action for short period of time at the very beginning (ideally very first action) of each workflow.