Build String - Conditionally (blank exceptions)

• 6 August 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +8

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a use the build string function based on conditionally set values and exclude the blanks.

I have a workflow that checks whether multiple fields are blank vs corrected. If the field does have text in it, I want to create a summary only including the fields that are not blank.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I can't seem to get it to work.

Exam fields:

NameCorrected Nameaddress1corrected address1city corrected CityZipcorrected zip
Joe25somewhere205 anywherehome12345

From this ample, I would need the "Corrections Summary" to be "Address1"

but if there were a city correction as well, I'd need it to be:

Address1

City

I think I'm close to having this work but my result ended up being: <br><br>Address1<br><br>

Any help would be appreciated

8 replies

Badge +9

Are you using the repeating section to show multiple records?u can have rules to hide if the value is blank.can u please add the snapshot of the result u want?

Badge +16

can you not just wrap each build string with a run if and set the condition for each column where field is not empty?

Badge +8

No, it's just set a list with varying columns. this isn't for the form. I'm trying to populate a multiline column with the data in other columns.

Badge +8

a record could have multiple blank columns as well as corrected columns, wouldn't a series of run if's stop the workflow from continuing if one of the perameters isn't met? I need to workflow to check all columns and update the the multiple line column with their contents if not blank.

Badge +16

The run if actions will all be fired and only action what is inside them if the condition is met.

so you could have

1. run if field 1 is blank

2. Run if field 2 is blank

3. Run if field 3 is blank

and the actions inside the containers will only run if those conditions are met.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I would approach it just as Cassy Freeman​ explained it. If you create a set of Run If actions, you can evaluate each column and then (if needed) build your string. Something like this:

189334_pastedImage_0.png

Hope this helps!

Badge +8

I didn't know Run-Ifs could be used within an action. Awesome. I did it with conditions and it worked but this was is so much cleaner.

Thank you both!!!

Badge +8

Thanks so much. I wish I could mark two correct answers. grin.png