Does K2 require its own database

• 14 March 2012
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Hi,

We are in the planning phase of our release and wants the below information for setting up K2 server environment,

- Does k2 require its own database. If yes, then for what purpose is it used. Can its data be used for reporting purpose.

- Can K2 servers work as a virtual machine.

- Do we need to enable/open some ports while setting up the environment.

Thanks in Advance

Abhishek

4 replies

Badge +10

Greetings,

I highly recommend that you take a look at the getting started guide on in help. http://help.k2.com/en/K2blackpearlUserGuide.aspx

1. K2 does require the use of SQL for storing process data and many other things. SQL is core to what K2 does.

2. Yes, K2 can be used in a virtual environment

3. yes. but this is configurable. By default K2 specific ports are 5555 and 5552

thanks for posting and welcome to the K2 community.

Badge +2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have one more doubt, we are thinking about having separate for K2 host and database server. Now, where should the default databases of K2 be located. Do they need to be located in K2 server or can we have them in separate database server, if yes then please guide me how to achieve it.

Thanks

Badge +10

When you run K2 Setup part of the wizard asks you for the name of your database server.

There is some documentaiton on this in the help file. Look at the following

Installation and Configuration > Installation > Install > Installing K2 blackpearl > Installing a standalone system > Installing the Components > K2 Database Configuration

Badge +2

Thanks, that will do !!!