cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just one of multiple different Workflows starting conditionally on modified

I have 3 different Workflows in a List. All 3 of them are set to start conditionally on 3 different columns:

Workflow A: Start when value in column 1 changes

Workflow B: Start when value in column 2 changes

Workflow C: Start when value in column 3 changes

I experience the following problem:

If value 1 and 2 and 3 change -> Only Workflow A gets started

If value 2 change -> Only Workflow B gets started

In my opinion, if value 1 and 2 and 3 change, all 3 Workflows should be started.

Is this an error or meant to be like this?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Just one of multiple different Workflows starting conditionally on modified

Hi Daniel,

could you please post screenshots of the the starting conditions of the workflows you mentioned?

While I sometimes experience performance issues if too many workflows with conditional start options are published on the same list, you should not have problems with three different workflows.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Martin,

the screenshots:

2016-01-13 19_22_57-Workflow Designer.png2016-01-13 19_23_07-Workflow Designer.png

2016-01-13 19_23_15-Workflow Designer.png

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi Daniel,

your conditions don't seem to match your requirements, do they?

You say you want to start your different workflows if a certain column changes. But you only check if these columns are filled/not filled and not if they changed. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

So i think you should rather do something like that

conditions.JPG

You compare the new field value to the field value before the change. If it doesn't equal, the value in the field was changed and your workflow runs. Please let us know if your problem persists.

Best Regards

Philipp

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Philipp,

I am pretty sure that my conditions are not responsible for the problem I am experiencing. The screenshots are for the conditions for "Start when items are created" and not for on modified. Sorry for that, but there I am experiencing the same problem. Only one workflow is started.

Let me describe my setting in more detail:

The workflows are running on a tasklist that is connected to Outlook. I have following additional columns in the task list:

1. Verantw. Projekt = Responsible Project (lookup column to another sharepoint list)

2. Verantw. TP = Responsible Subproject (lookup column to another sharepoint list)

3. x_TP = x_Subproject = Renamed Standard Task Column "Billing information" (Text column)

My goal:

WF1: When a user creates a new task in Outlook and fills in the responsible subproject into the Outlook Field "Billing information", the workflow should be started to automatically insert the text entered into Billing Information into the lookup column "Verantw. TP".

WF2: When a user creates a new task in Sharepoint and fills in the column "Verantw. TP", the workflow should start to fill in the information into the field "x_TP" / "Billing information)

WF3: Additionally: If a user creates a new task and leaves the Project Field blank, the 3rd workflow should start and set the Project to the standard Project "1".

My problem on creation:

If "Verantw Projekt" is empty, WF3 starts but thereafter no other Workflows are started (even if "Verantw. TP" or "x_TP" are empty)

If "Verantw. Projekt" is filled out on creation, WF3 does not run and WF1 or WF2 are running

So in the beginning I thought that only one Workflow can be started on creation. But since this is not the case, I don't know where the Problem is.

Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

After reading your explanation, I'm feeling a little dizzy

Will have to try it on my own environment. But I'm not sure when I will find the time to do so. But I'm also sure, the rest of the community will try to help you as well

Servus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Can anyone from Nintex maybe check again? I ran some more tests in several lists with several workflows with the following results:

Scenario A

3 workflows with "Start when items are created" = YES

-> All 3 of them always start running at the same time when items are created

Scenario B

2 workflows with "Start when items are created" = YES

1 workflow with "Start when items are created" = CONDITIONAL

--> All 3 workflows start running at the same time when items are created (if conditions are met)

Scenario C

1 workflow with "Start when items are created" = YES

2 wokrflows with "Start when items are created" = CONDITIONAL

--> The workflow with "Start (...)" = YES always runs.

--> BUT only 1 of the workflows with "Start (...)" = CONDITIONAL runs even so all conditions are met.

So it seems to me that only one workflow with conditional starting parameters can be defined and runs. The other workflows with conditional starting parameters will not run.

Can someone of Nintex please confirm or can anyone else test this behaviour? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Interesting and I'm experiencing a similar behaviour, did you figure this out? Does Nintex limit the number of conditional workflows that can kick off at a single time?

0 Kudos