Is that possible to query workflow variables in a task form in Request Data Action?

Badge +3

I know infopath form can both receive data from and submit data to Sharepoint , but is that possible to do both in a single request data action? Or if we can do both in a workflow action by editing task form?

It is like something that I want the receivers can look up data from sharepoint while they are required to input data to update somewhere else in Sharepoin.

I have tried to add a "receive data source" in the task form. But even adding data source itself cause error when I am trying to open the task form after I got "input require" notification. Is that because the request data action limits the function of the infopath task form

193808_pastedImage_2.png

193809_pastedImage_5.png

11 replies

Badge +11

Hi Eden,

afaik this should be possible. Did you try to look up the correlation id in the ULS log?

Badge +3

No…I don't know what it is=_=

I am actually new to workflow…

So it is that about settings in the workflow or infopath?And it is not limited by the action itself?

Badge +3

Hello Lucas

I can not find uls log in my local disk, I think it is because my account is not admin account for the server and I can not start that...

So is it really possible to edit receive data in a request data action? probably by the way of managing data connections in the infopath? I am just making sure I am not going to the wrong direction,

Badge +11

What you are trying to achieve should be possible. Afaik there are no limitations on InfoPath Data Connections when using it as a request data form. So you should be on the right track.

Can you maybe share the configuration of your data connection from infopath? Additionally you can maybe try to contact an administrator to have a look at the ULS logs for you?

Badge +3

Thanks to your information, I have make some progess but It is still weird when it passes design check and it looks good in the Preview, but when I get into the form, it shows a warning like this, and the date receiving failed.

193819_pastedImage_1.png

But in the preview it looks good and the drop down list control actually receive what I want. And no any warning and error in the design check. When you click the button in the preview, it shows up the list you want.

193841_pastedImage_3.png

Badge +11

That sounds like a permission issue to me. Did you make sure the account you are opening the form with in the browser has sufficient permissions to query the data source?

If you need further assistance please provide the following:

1. configuration of the data source/data query causing the error
  2. ULS-Log entry

Regards

Philipp

Badge +3

I think it is about permission as well

Here is the situation: the whole sharepoint site only own a server aboard and I only have "full control" access to the site of my own department but not the server.Is that means I have no access to both the central administration and the ULS log because I am a designer but not the owner? And I think the server didn't open some relative functions about infopath service just as the following shows when I prepared to publish a form template to the library.

193873_pastedImage_1.png

And about the workflow error, I only did the most basic settings on data connection:

data connection-----add-----receive data-----Sharepoint library or list-----<input the site>(valid and see the lists)-----select list and fields-----and check"Automatically retrieve data when form is opened" then finish.

Without dragging any controls into the form, I submitted the form then when I tried to open the form, error occured.

And if it is really about permission levels, what kind of permission should I get to make infopath work properly on our own site?

Thx for your information, it is really helpful~~

BR

Eden

Badge +11

Normally you would only need read permissions on the list you are querying with your data connection.

To access the ULS Log you need to have access to the server SharePoint is running on. Which is why you probably need to request the log from an admin.

In the meantime you can check if one of the suggested methods on these sites is working for you:

This form template is browser-compatible, but it cannot be browser-enabled on the selected site. 

This form template is browser -compatible but it cannot be browser enabled on the selected site – Code Eater (Wael A. Ka… 

Badge +3

I finally solve the browser-enable thing, do you know what happen? Just need to reactivate the "sharepoint enterprise feature" in site collection feagure.......it is destructive to my soul

Badge +11

Glad to hear that! This feature also includes the InfoPath Form Service, maybe something got messed up during activation.

Does this also solve the problem with your data connection?

Badge +3

No exactly, but I find I can customize list form in infopath as soon as I reactivate the feature. It is more stable than store data in workflow then update to the list properities. So I gave up the request data(workflow task form) then edit the list in infopath directly. And the data connection works very well in the list form.

Thanks for your suggestions, it is quite helpful!!!