Document Approval Workflow with Revise Request Step

• 29 April 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am creating a document request workflow that needs to have the following statuses: approved, cancel request, and needs more info. I am using a state machine to move the approval request to needs more info if that is the case, but at this point I can't figure out how to have the initiator revise the request when in the needs more info state. The initiator would need to revise the document and the form. Attached is an image of the workflow. I am also very new to Nintex.

Does anyone have any advice?

Note: This is being created in a list. Upon approval the document will be copied into a controlled library. There are some kinks to work out, but I'm hoping to tackle this one first.

Thank you!

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

whom do you assign flexi task in 'needs more info' branch, is it initiator or some body else?

if it's inititiator, then the concept seems to be correct. but then I do not understand what's the problem exactly. please try to clarify in more detail.

if it isn't initiator, then you will have to create one another branch like 'review by initiator' when you will assign a task to initiator.

Badge +1

Yes, the flexi task in the "needs more info" branch is assigned to the requestor. The problem is that when the requestor has that task assigned to them they are unable to change the properties on the form or the document from the task assignment form and submit.

I might try a workaround that has the initiator just going into the list item and making their modifications, and then checking the resubmit button on the form. I was hoping to have them go to one place, but this might work too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

they are unable to change the properties on the form or the document from the task assignment form and submit

do you mean with properties that you can not change values in form controls?

is outcome control (approve/reject/resubmit/etc...) editable/changeable at least?

have you customized the task form within flexi task action or do you use default one?

how do you assign the task - to a group or directly to listed user(s)? how do you have set 'create individual tasks'?

do you have rules and/or javascript on the form?

if could post a screenshot of the form how does it look like, it might help us to understand what's going on there.

screenshot of  'need more info' flexi task configuration would help as well.

that has the initiator just going into the list item and making their modifications, and then checking the resubmit button on the form

to be honest, I've learnt over time that this is the most effective approach.

the more approval stages you have in workflow (and the more task forms you configure) then exponentially the more effort it means for you as a form/workflow developer to bugfix and maintain it. task approval forms are typically in 99% the same (from layout and functionality point of view). very small percentage of difference is not worth of the effort I mentioned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is a common practice to have the initiator sent to them a link back to the original item from within the email of an Assign a ToDo task. So the user goes back, makes changes, then completes this task and the workflow moves on.

But you can also use a Request Data task action. This task can have a custom form and can even use Lazy Approval to get data. The workflow will have access to this data and you can then use Update Item actions to change the original item.

Badge +1

The outcome is editable, and I have customized the task form - didn't add fields only rearranged the order.

The task is assigned to either a group of users or one user. It depends on the process type: one type goes to one user who is identified in the document properties. The other type queries a list, but it is set to first response. There is no javascript on the form and I have not created any rules.

I am working on this today and will be having them go back into the document and make their changes before clicking on resubmit.

I agree -- it isn't worth the hassle to make the workflow more complicated.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. Sometimes the simplest solution is staring you in the face. I think I got caught up in the workflow and needed to go back and use some of the basic SharePoint functionality too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A sound approach. Looking forward to seeing your work in Nintex in the community in the future. If there was a helpful response to mark correct feel free, or mark your own to complete this post. Happy Nintexing!