Can a task edit form and an item edit form be used on one form?

• 12 December 2016
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +5

Is there any way to combine the task edit form and the item edit form onto one form?  In my workflow, the item needs to be reviewed and corrected by someone before it can be sent to others for approval.  Rather than adding a link to the item edit form at the bottom of the task edit form, I wanted to just have the user scroll down to fix anything that needs fixing before clicking "OK" to make the workflow resume.  I'm concerned that if I just add a link to the item at the bottom of the task edit form, the user will forget that he/she needs to revisit the task form to click "OK".  This will cause an unfortunate delay in the workflow.    This is what the first portion of my workflow looks like:

196892_pastedImage_2.png

This is what my task edit form looks like:

196894_pastedImage_1.png

I added the item edit form to my task edit form by doing an export from the item form itself.  Unfortunately, any changes that are made to the data in the item form section are not saved back to the item.  Is there any way around this?  Any help is appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I added the item edit form to my task edit form by doing an export from the item form itself.  Unfortunately, any changes that are made to the data in the item form section are not saved back to the item

this should definitelly work. that's typical approach how to duplicate item form layout into task form layout.

check whether controls are correctly connected to respective item fields.

what task action have you used?

as per your original question, I described something similar here  

only difference to your requirement is that I do not allow to edit item fields directly in task form.

this is IMHO clearer approach. it makes users to consider differences between task and item. as well they are not given two sets of submit/cancel buttons so they are not confused which one use in what circumstances.

but if you like, you can open item's edit form in page viewer and I think it should work.

Badge +5

I'm using a "Request Review" action.  I have tried the Page Viewer option (very similar to your May Mission post).  I had used the instructions from this post.  When I try to hide the Page Viewer control using Rules, the page never finishes loading (I get a "please wait" dialog box that never goes away).  If I don't hide the Page Viewer control, I struggle to make it more readable.  I haven't had much luck hiding the navigation (top or left) via CSS or JavaScript.  So, after spending a day on that, I've re-imported my original task/item form.  For some reason, now, the data is saving no matter what button is pressed (the OK button at the top of the form works as does the bottom button). I can only hope that it stays that way but I can't explain it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

fine if you're satisfied with approach of having all the item controls directly on task form.

keep posting if you revert to idea of page viewer, I may try to assist you.

When I try to hide the Page Viewer control using Rules, the page never finishes loading (I get a "please wait" dialog box that never goes away).

I assume you have meant to hide a control within a page shown inside page viewer, not hiding page viewer control itself...

that's typically a symptom of and error in javascript or rule. try to check developer console.