Balckpoint and different SharePoint languages

• 25 March 2009
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Is there any chance to use language specific SharePoint  objects? For example I would like to create a site creator event. In that event I'd like to create site by custom site template different than English.

Someone tried it, or know something about that?

Thanks for reply!

7 replies

Badge +4

I tried this. I created a test project. It create a site based hungarian site template. It was a little bit interesting, because when I select the template it listed english site templates (with english description on a hungarian site collection) , but the site created in hungarian template.

So for first sight, it works.

Badge +3

Hi

If you refer to the Internationalization section of the documentation (Start Here --> K2 blackpoint Installation Guide) you will see the following:

K2 blackpoint provides full support for Worldwide English, and was also tested for Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, German and French. This allows K2 blackpoint to run in English on non-English platforms. Support for non-English platforms includes the following components:

• Windows 2003 Server (Standard or better)
  • SQL Server 2005
  • SharePoint 2007 (WSS/MOSS/Forms Server)
  • Visual Studio 2005 (Professional or better)

Creating localised sites should be fine. When designing your processes you may need to use english based characters only, we have noticed some issues when use Cyrillic base charaters.

Badge +4

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. If you says that "When designing your processes you may need to use english based characters only" it means variables too?

I created DataFields to store texts, but if someone type some special character (for example: áéűöő) the next step it will be question mark (?????). If I write special characters to Comment field it contains the value. May be you can use only Xml field for store special characters???

Any experience about this?

Badge +3

This covers all aspects of the K2 solution.

I know the labs team are working hard to resolve this in a future release.

Badge +7

I used to build K2 BlackPoint processes with cyrillic letters (activity names) and deployed it to Russian MOSS. It worked fine!  (By the way it was a real problem with K2 BlackPoint Beta2)

Other case, I can't see K2 Portal Site template when I tried to create it as described in Installation guide in russian MOSS.

Badge +4
My problem is the Field values not the K2 item namings. If you create a data field that get value in generated ASP forms (ex.:ASP -> advanced forms) and the value contains special characters it'll change to question mark (?). There are some workaround to encode and decode special chars, but it's a little...err.
Badge +7

Well, I tried with russian letters and got the same problem. Cyrillic letters don't display. In ASP.NET applications I usually specify culture of the page and codepage settings in web.config or a single page and it solves the problem. But here I still can't find the solution yet.

As far as I understand from a K2 insiders we have to wait till the next release(s) where these issues will be fixed.