Limited amount of parallel running workflows?!

• 26 November 2018
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +10

I have a somehow critical workflow "Determine technical owners".

This workflow:

• selects from a large list all work areas that are currently productive
  • Looks into the group Owner by web service
  • and write the people in the master list.

Technically, this is a:

• The site collection workflow finds all the IDs of the elements from the master list (that is, all workspaces) -> 1; 2; 4; xyz; 452)
  • and starts a list workflow on all these workspaces via web service, which then looks into the groups and finally fills the element.

Everything worked well during the test. In production, however, I get errors here, the workflow always stops after 5-6 minutes (no matter where it stands).
Until then he works correctly. Do you have any idea where to look here?

My first research showed that Nintex can only start 15 workflows at times and the rest are then "put on hold"?

For me, the following questions arise:
• do you know the problem?

• Do you have any idea how we can fix that quickly?

o Do you see a way to divide up the mass of the accelerated workflows via Nintex?

• Do you know the technical regulations that exist here?

o If yes, are they customizable?

I thank you.

3 replies

Badge +10

FYI, I have added a counter in the workflow, which is incremented by +1 for each list workflow to be checked.
Each time the counter reaches 100 (100, 200, 300 ...), the workflow is paused for five minutes.
That seems to work now, but maybe there is a more elegant solution?

Cheers

mai-kel

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Michael,

I've usually found that, when looping lots of item, workflow errors at some point and only solution is to put a pause in it like you've already done..maybe you can find the best point for your environment where to put the pause (after 100/150/200) because I've found that this may change based on the SharePoint Environment, so everytime I have to find the best settings for my scenario..

Giacomo

Badge +10

Hi Giacomo,

OK, thanks, I already thought something like this. I'll keep the question open for some days, maybe there is somebody else with a good idea.

If not, I 'll mark your answer as correct.

Thanks again and best regards

mai-kel