Can we add or update to the sql database while running a workfow process in K2 Blackpoint

• 14 December 2009
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

Hi All, I have a basic query regarding K2 blackpoint. While we run a K2 process in sharepoint, is there any way to add or update or to fetch data from a Sql database??  If so, can you specify the wizard that could be used for this purpose. Thanks for your help. 

5 replies

Badge +1

There are no wizards for updating SQL Server databases in K2 blackpoint.

You should be looking at K2 blackpearl's SmartObject Wizard if you have an extensive list of SQL Server integration points to do.

Most of the time, K2 blackpoint who wants to do simple to moderate integration (maybe 3 - 5 integration points) to external databases would use the Reference Wizard to call their own custom assemblies, web services or WCF endpoints.

Badge +5

Hello hasegawa_h,

I used reference wizard. Basically I created a clas library project and refered that assembly in K2 Blackpoint references (the assembly provides with the method that gets an input parameter and returns a string value on the basis of that parameter). Then I created a reference event in which I used this assembly method. Assigned a hardcoded value to the input parameter of the method. Now I want to use the returned string parameter value. After checking this value further it will be decided whether to continue with the workflow or not. But I am not getting how to use this returned paramater value. Plz help or give other example where we could fetch database values to use in K2 process.

Badge +1

You should create a Data Field so that you return value can be stored in the workflow

Navigate to the Context Browser, select the third tab from the top, right click on the Data Fields tree node to create a new Data Field with the proper type.

You can then plug the Data Field into the return value of the Reference wizard configuration.

Refer to Line Rule if you want to know how to route the workflow instance depending on the value returned.

I strongly suggest that you go through the documentation there is to understand the terminologies - especially on Activities, Events, Data Fields, XML Fields and Rules.

Badge +5

Thanks hasegawa_h. This worked for me but I ddidn't updated the post. Thanks.

Badge +5

Hi hasegawa_h,

I have used a reference event, referring a class library dll. I have executed a sql query inside the referenced method that expects an input parameter. For that I have added a Datafield. But how to populate this input parameter (Datafield). I don't want to use Infopath form. Any Idea??