cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Is there a way to create a workflow to auto-generate a link to filtered list?

I have 2 SharePoint lists:

1. Projects - lists each ongoing project in group
  2. Project Update Details - weekly updates of how each project is going

I want to create a workflow that will auto-generate a link of each project in List 1 to a filtered List 2 that only has weekly updates for the particular project (e.g. link for Project ABC in List 1 will lead to List 2 that is already filtered only for Project ABC).

Just wanted to see if this is possible.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Is there a way to create a workflow to auto-generate a link to filtered list?

Yep!

Since you can filter a list using a URL, it makes it pretty simple...

Here's an example:

I have a library called ProjectReports, and in that library, I have a column called Project which displays - you guessed it - the project!

If my project is Rhia Industries, I can actually just enter this in my URL and get that filtered list:

http://sharepointsiteurl/ProjectReports/alldocuments.aspx?FilterField1=Project&FilterValue1=Rhia%20I...

So what that means is that - in the URL above.. you could use "txtProjectName" (a variable where you grab the project name) to = FilterValue1, and then input that in List2 after you've built a URL out of it.

Let me know if you need some more details...!

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Is there a way to create a workflow to auto-generate a link to filtered list?

not sure you are aware of that, but it is possible to design custom page with two list view web parts - one for Projects list and second for Details one - and interlink them (eg. based on projectID).

so you can create master-detail view between projects and details within one page. this save you from going back and forth between two lists (and well from developing extra workflow)

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I have done this for companies in the past and it's a great way to approach it - no WF needed!

But hey if you REALLY wanna use Nintex ... we won't stop you  

Accept as Solution Reply