cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Is there a master custom list?

I was wondering if there is a master custom list.

For example, this master custom list can be shared throughout the different sites I've created and I can retrieve the information in the current custom list I am working on OR is there a method to share a custom list throughout the different sites to different custom list?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Is there a master custom list?

Hi Haryanti Yatimin you could create a site content type that you could reuse accross multiple list.

please check out the following link for more info about content types.

Create or customize a site content type - SharePoint Server

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I am a bit lost on this.

What is the use of this site content type actually and how could I actually use it to link the custom lists? Or does it act like a master list which I can link the custom list to?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

you can think of it like a "master list metadata" that you can reuse.

Here is good youtube video explaining what content types are.

SharePoint tutorial: Understanding content types | lynda.com - YouTube

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you! I will get back to you on it if it works for what I'm looking for!

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Yes, you can create site columns and they can be seen anywhere within the site collection.

0 Kudos
josh
Nintex Newbie

Hi Haryanti,

It's not exactly clear what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to create a list which contains data that all your workflow/forms solutions can access? Or a list template that can be reused across your environment? Or something entirely different?

As the reusable template option is detailed above, I won't discuss it.

If you're trying to create a single source of truth for your data, your SharePoint setup will determine how successful this will be. We all know that SharePoint is very site-based, but Nintex can help alleviate some of the pain. You will first create a list on a site to hold the data.

• For Nintex Forms, you can use the List Lookup control to display information from a list/library residing on another site in the same site collection. Note that the current site collection is the boundary here.
  • For Nintex Workflow:
    • (Same Farm) You can use a Query List action with the default options for querying a list in the same site. You can use a Query List action with customized CAML code for querying a list on a different site or site collection within the current farm.
    • (Different Farm) You can use a Call Web Service action (lists.asmx) to query a list in a different SharePoint farm.
0 Kudos