K2 for SharePoint Setup - K2 Server DB Connection Failed - Error 40

Badge +2

New K2 installation on SharePoint 2013 server usingK2 for SharePoint Setup Manager.  When trying to connect to the SQL database server and K2 database, receive connection failed.

Error Message:

"Connection Failed: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL server is configured to allow remote connections.  (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL server)

Configuration and Action:

Checked that the SharePoint service account is properly configured with the correct db role to access the K2 database.  Assigned read and write and executible roles.

SQL DB has only the default instance, no other instance are created.  Able to connect to the database from SharePoint and SharePoint is running with no issue.

K2 WorkSpace is using the same SQL database that the SharePoint 2013 is using.  K2 WorkSpace is running with no issue.

K2 Server installation is using - K2 Pass-Through Authendication.  Not using Kerberos on the K2 Server and SharePoint 2013 server.

13693i4D8787D415A4663A.jpg

4 replies

Badge +5

Hi RogerLiu,

I have one thing to confirm with you: are you running the K2 for SharePoint 2013 setup manager on the K2 server or the SharePoint server? 

Reason I am asking is that the actual K2 for SharePoint 2013 setup manager will need to be run ONLY on the K2 server itself--this does not include AppDeployment. From there, the installation files for the K2 for SharePoint 2013 bits will also need to be downloaded to the SharePoint machine (doesnt matter if its an app or wfe server) and then run ONLY the AppDeployment on the SharePoint box. The AppDeployment.exe file can be found in the K2 for SharePoint>Installation>AppDeployment.exe folder. It has a little green and white box as an icon (see attached screenshot for reference).

Please confirm this is the case before continuing with the installation. 

Thanks!

-Savannah

Badge +2

Hi Savannah,

I am running the K2 for SharePoint 2013 setup from the SharePoint Application server (NOT from the K2 Server).   I will follow your suggestion to run the SP2013 setup from the K2 Server.

ps. please attache the screen shot on your blog.. did not see the file there..

Badge +2

Was able to install the K2 for SharePoint 2013 component from the K2 Server.  However, when I try to install the K2 for SharePoint 2013 by running the "AppDeployment.exe" on SharePoint 2013 server, the same error popped up - Not able to connect to the K2 SQL Database server.

Badge +4

Hi RogerLiu,

Please look at the following documentation.

You can use this test on both the server to test if the information is correct and also to see if the server is actually seeing the SQL server:

You can also open cmd and use the following commands to test connection to the SQL server.

Ping [ip/servername]

telnet [ip/servername] 1433  “This may not always connect if a instance is present it might say failed”

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/steverac/archive/2010/12/14/test-remote-sql-connectivity-easily.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards

Quintin