all processes hanging

Badge +8
any ideas why all processes would suddenly start to hang? as soon as the process reaches a step (with SMTP and/or web form) it stops - nothing in error log, process is active in the workspace, but the process never gets sent to the destination user's worklist, and the SMTP notification is never sent out. if one drills down into the event in the workspace, its status is waiting. According to K2 server manager, the process is active.

nothing has changed on the server, nothing is logged in the error log or the event viwer. I have retarted the service and the server several times, no change.

anyone have an idea what else to look for?

only possible thing i found is 'invalid serial number' when running the service in console mode, but how this is affecting the process I do not know. And yes, I have logged this issue with Sourcecode....

9 replies

Badge +8
OK thus fare we have established it is happening because the user login name being passed to K2 is not getting resolved by Active Directory. no idea why this is happening yet...(and no, its not because the username does not exist or is not formatted nicely)
Badge +8
Progress: we established that the problem was happening on any event with a start rule. The cause of the problem is a bug in K2 related to processes older than 30 days.

Service Pack 1 should prevent the error from occurring again.
Badge +2
Hi Neil,

I'm getting the same problem as you originally described - processes getting stuck, showing up as "Waiting" in workspace, and not getting onto the worklist.

We are not using start rules, and my processes are NOT more than 30 days old . . .

Did you have any luck narrowing this down any further - perhaps some Active Directory issues ???

Thanks a lot,

Chris White.
Badge +8
HI Chris

It can be caused if K2 is not resolving the destination users against AD (for example, if you pass through the destination username as a string value that does not match the username in AD). Are your activities hanging as soon as the item must be assigned to a user? If you add an activity with server-side code, does that activity complete?

It can also be caused by server code which is not completing - perhaps some server-side code is going into an endless loop.

What version of K2 are you running?
Badge +2
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the prompt response !!

I'm only testing with 1 user at the minute, and everything is working fine 99% of the time.

However every now and then new processes that I add via K2 Smart Forms, or existing processes that I move through activities using K2 Smart forms, get stuck at "waiting" when viewed in the workspace. Looking at them in the Service manager, they are not errored, and are shown as active, but just DO NOT get put onto the worklist !!

When this happens I can't narrow down what is causing it to correct itself - sometimes a restart of the K2 service does it, sometimes an iisreset, sometimes opening an existing process instance . . . it's really strage !!

This only seems to have started happening since we started using active directory groups in the destination queues instead of actual users. At first I thought it was hanging while the groups were refreshed (set in Service manager) but I changed this so that it only refreshes the groups every 5 days - this hasn't fixed the problem.

I can't help thinking it's a K2/Active Directory interaction problem . . . are there any known AD / K2 interaction problems ??

We're running K2 Server 2003 - not sure how you tell the exact version - but the service manager is version 3.4250.1.0 and K2 Studio is version is same version as well . . .

Thanks a lot,

Chris.
Badge +8
hmmm. If you have an activty which is 'hanging', try to use service manager to redirect the process to the same activity to see if it then goes through correctly.

Is the K2 server running on windows server or xp, and where is the domain controller (on the same LAN etc).

there shouldnt be any issues with authentication to AD - the product was built specifically for AD. I'm thinking that the K2 server is trying to resolve the destination user group against AD and not getting a response.

Are you running any custom code to set the destination user/group?

Also, you can try to run the server in console mode to see what happens in the background. (Stop the K2 service, browse to the install directory for K2/Bin and run K2server.exe)

Finally, you can also log a support call in our portal.

P.S. the version you are running is SP1A, so it won't be the same problem as I initially had.
Badge +2
Hi Neil,

Thanks again for responding !

When it happens again I shall try redirecting the process back to the same activity and see if this gets me anywhere !! It happens approx once a day, so shouldn't be too long before I hit the problem again . . .

Well, the way I'm setup at the minute is a little strange as it's how we develop :D We use MS Virtual PC, so I have a virtual PC setup with Windows 2003 Server. It's all running on the virtual PC - SQL Server 2000, K2, Active Directory, the lot. So LAN is not an issue . . .

Some activities have custom code, but most destination rules are simply assigned to a destination queue containing an active directory group, so that we can change user/group assignment on-the-fly through AD.

What will running server in console mode tell me ?? Can I leave it running like this all day ??

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Badge +2
Hi Chris

Do you have any special characters in your AD Group Names?
Could you post a sample of your user- and group names?

I'd also be interested in the setup you are running. Single Server, Distributed Installation, VPC etc.

Thanks
Emile
Badge +8
Chris - can you send me your process designs (the ksn, kpr, kcn and kpj files) so that I can try to recreate the problem on my VPC?

you can send them to neil@k2workflow.com