cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Is it possible to combine multiple Word documents into one using Nintex Workflow?

Jump to solution

Hello Nintex Community,

Our team is investigating possible solutions for combining/merging multiple Word documents stored within the same document library into one master Word document using Nintex. The use case here would be for weekly status reports - each user submits their own Word document report then once a week (possibly via a site workflow) the reports/documents would be rolled up and merged into one master Word document for that particular week.

I have tried using some combinations of the Read and Update Document workflow actions but have had little success thus far. Appreciate any insight or suggestions that anyone has regarding this topic.

Note: Our environment is SharePoint 2013 running Nintex Workflow 2013 Enterprise Edition.

Thanks,

Bob

Labels: (1)
9 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Is it possible to combine multiple Word documents into one using Nintex Workflow?

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

the "Read document" and "Update document" actions you already mentioned are the only built-in word actions available. That means if these actions do not satisfy your needs, you will have to create your own solution.

QueryXML and UpdateXML won't work because they do not recognize the open xml format. So the only possibility I can think of is writing your own web service that handles your document merging with c#. You can then call this web service from inside you nintex workflow to let it do all the heavy work.

Another idea would be to not merge the documents directly but to put them all inside one document set. This should be possible with default actions inside nintex workflow.

Regards

Philipp

Workflow Hero

Re: Is it possible to combine multiple Word documents into one using Nintex Workflow?

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, Philipp.

The last suggestion you mentioned about the document set - this would not create a single Word document at the end of the workflow correct? All of the documents would still be separated within a folder or something of that nature? I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution
The last suggestion you mentioned about the document set - this would not create a single Word document at the end of the workflow correct? All of the documents would still be separated within a folder or something of that nature?

That is absolutetly correct! Only that you wouldn't use a folder but a document set (which is of course some kind of folder )  that has some other nice built-in functionalitites. But if you have to have just one Word Document, this is not working out for you.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

This feature is available now to o365 users using the doc gen action.  I understand it is coming shortly to SP2013 so if you can hold on for a bit (and have a DocGen quota) you'll be able to do this easily.

Cheers,

Chris

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information, Chris. You may not be the right person to ask but if anyone knows of a ballpark timeline on when the DocGen action you mentioned above will be available in SharePoint 2013 on-prem I would be eager to know!

Thanks again!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

It will be released soon - I can't specify a date because things always change.  I've seen some earlier implementations because I assisted with some UX testing and it's looking good.  Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Great news - the on-prem DocGen feature went live today.  You can talk to your Nintex Partner about it - there may be a charge depending on what kind of license you have.

Cheers,

Chris

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks for the update Chris! Our team has already been in contact with our Nintex account rep today and we look forward to testing out the new functionality soon.

Ask and you shall receive I guess?  Great timing!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Enjoy Bob - Merry Christmas!

0 Kudos