SmartForms and Visual Studio/TFS

• 9 March 2014
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi there.

I have a query regarding SmartForms and how I can integrate them with source control systems, which in our case is Team Foundation Server (TFS).

Our team performs development work in isolated development environments; each developer runs a virtual machine which contains a self-contained K2 development environment: K2, SQL Server, Visual Studio and so on. Visual Studio is where our developers live.

When developers have completed a feature, the K2 artefacts (SmartObjects and Processes) are then checked into TFS so that they are available to other developers on the team. Other developers pull these updated files from TFS and deploy them to their instance of K2. So really we are following industry standard development practices. We actually use TFS for Application Lifecycle Management which allows us to track requirements, code, issues, fixes and so on.

We are now planning to use SmartForms, but as far as I can tell Visual Studio can’t be used to develop SmartForms. Is this correct or is there some plugin that I am unaware of? If this isn’t possible in Visual Studio, what is the rationale behind this?

In other (non-Visual Studio) K2 designers, you can export the files (such as sodx and kprx). But I can find no way to actually “export”

the underlying files that define SmartForms. Therefore I’m struggling to see how I can:

(1)    Include SmartForms in TFS

(2)    Share SmartForms definitions for use in other environments

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

1 reply

Badge +10

Smartforms are completely different than how Smartforms and processes work.  I struggled with the same thing when I first started working with them.  Turns out Smartforms exist only in the K2 database so for TFS and moving them between different enviornments you need to use the Package and Deployment wizard which creates a package including all the dependencies and stores it in a kpsx file which could be stored in TFS and the package can be provided to the other team members to deploy to their environments.

The P&D wizard can be downloaded from the K2 portal and is being incorporated into the K2 blackpearl installer in later releases (not sure if its in 4.6.6 but definetly in 4.6.7).