State Machine Workflow running twice

• 31 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I have a Nintex form with two workflows. The first workflow is a manual start. The second workflow is the state machine with two states (there may be more states added.) Each state sends an email and is triggered by the completion of a control in the form. The second workflow (the state workflow) looks like this.

If I set the state workflow to start when an item has been completed, the first state runs. However, the manual workflow needs to be completed first. If I have the setting on when an item is modified, the first state of the workflow ends up running a second time once the second state has been completed.  I think the first state runs the second time because it sees the form as being modified.  Is this the case? If so, what do I need to set so the first state does not run twice?

(I don't have a Run If on the first state as it kicks off when the form is modified. Also, there are no other workflows running.)

Thank you.

5 replies

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

I must say that I do not totally understand your situation, but from what I read, I am under the impression you need to add an extra field to the list to track the status. You can use this status field together with condition start for the second workflow to determine if it really needs to start. You then also can add an extra state (which is executed first) which determines which state to go to next based on this status field.

Does this make sence?

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +5

I understand where you are coming from as I have a workflow I did in InfoPath that is set based on a status field. I'll play with this over the weekend. Thank you for the prompt reply and a point to start.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The problem might be that you don't have an "Exit State Machine" in one of your Change State requests.   When you do not have one of these, the State machine acts as a loop and will continue to circle around.  Can you let me know if any of your change state actions are pointing to Exist State machine?   Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

So the question I should ask is, are you seeing it run twice as in separate instances, or are you seeing it just do its thing twice?

Badge +5

Separate instances