loading Approvers from a list, based on 2 variables

Badge +2

Hello everyone!

I am creating an approval form where the approvers will need to be loaded from a list or set of lists based on 2 pieces of information, Department and Region.

The method I'm currently using is to have a workflow initialize the form after it's been saved, and fill in that information.

I've got a Switch case for each Department (21) and then 5 "If region = X" on the inside of each switch.  Inside each If, is 7 set fields.

21 * 5 * 7 = 735 set field actions

I actually can't publish this workflow while it is this large.  I get an error. (Server was unable to process request. ---> Failed to publish workflow: Error in the application.)

I don't believe this is the best way to do this anyway,  should I be trying to load this data in at run-time via JavaScript?

Is there a better way to perform this action in Nintex Workflow?

I tried Parallel actions as well as the switch function, but it ultimately leads to the same thing.  An enormous unpublishable workflow.

Right now I'm thinking about creating 5 more workflows based on region, then using a switch to call the workflow that corresponds to the region and then have a workflow with only 147 set fields since I would have 21 cases (possible departments) each with 7 fields to set.

I feel like maybe I've approached this wrong, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what are you trying to set in so many branches and actions?

if you have stored you approvers in a list you could first use query list action and load needed approvers to a variable. then you use this variable in eg. flexi task to assign approve task to.

if you keep your approvers in several lists I would suggest to consolidate them to single list

Badge +2

I've got a consolidated list of approves as well, and will try this suggestion thanks!

Badge +2

Thanks Marian!

I'm new to the software and the Query List action is exactly what I was looking for and has resolved this issue for me.