cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Initiate a workflow when todays date equals the date field?

Jump to solution

I have created a list with over 6 different date fields in my form.

I have 6 workflows that need to start with the todays date matched the date field.

How do I initiate a workflow when todays date equals the date field?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Initiate a workflow when todays date equals the date field?

Jump to solution

I think you have two options here and it depends what these workflows will be doing when they fire.

1. create a site workflow that queries your list for all items where the dates equal the current date, store that information into a collection, and work with the collection.

2. have a workflow on each item with a wait for action where you configure that to wait for the date field to equal the current date.

what do you want the workflow to do when it does fire?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Good day Sam,

I will build a site workflow that checks the dates on the required / scheduled intervals.

The check step will be a Run-if Action and remember to select the Equals (Ignoring Time option)...I ran into this problem a few times because the date and time is evaluated by default.

So for this I would create 6 run-if actions and if put them in a Parallel action for evaluation.

Let me know if this resolved your problems.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Just to add to Cassy Freeman first option, you'd want to run that site workflow on a schedule to run every day.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hello Sam McGuill​ -

A little clarification if you would please, do you require that each of the 6 workflows be kicked off, at the same time, when ANY of your date fields = [TODAY], or is it it [DATE1] = [TODAY] start WORKFLOW_1?

Thanks!

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Jesse,

It is the ladder, [DATE1] = [TODAY] start WORKFLOW_1.
Cheers

Sam

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Thanks Sam McGuill, that helps clear somethings up.

Since you are looking to start 6 workflows based on a date, I would use a scheduled site workflow to query your list, find the items that need to be acted upon. This can be done by using the 'Query list' action and simply looking to see if the date column = TODAY and then running the rest of your logic.

You have options thought in regards to how to set them up. You can create 6 separate workflows where each one is segregated from the rest, or you can do as Francois Crous​ suggested and put everything inside Run If actions. If you keep them separate, it is easier to pinpoint changes and errors if they arise. If you keep them all together, it is only one workflow that you need to maintain, but can become difficult to know what area(s) need updated or what went wrong if not documented well.

I would assess how large the workflows are, how much time they are expected to run, how often, and how much change is expected/needed in the future. From there, I would attempt to design something easy to maintain.

Hope this helps! If you need specifics on certain actions or how to schedule site workflows, let us know!

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for your assistance Jesse.

0 Kudos