Two Questions on the Same Workflow

Badge +5

If I created a flexi task for the approver and the choices are:

1. OK to Proceed

2. Correction Needed - Comments required if this is selected.

I then created a flexi task for the creator with the comments of the approver if Correction Needed is selected.  The task states to correct the error provided in the approvers comments. I included the item URL.

1st question - Can the creator click the item URL in the task and edit the request?

The task has two choices for the creator to choice from:

1. Error Corrected

2. Cancel Request

In the is case he selects Error Corrected.

2nd question - Can I use a Change State action to send the request to back to approver and will they see the updates?

Thanks,

Suzanne

4 replies

Badge +1

Hi Suzanne Caldwell​,

1. Clicking the Item URL from the task form will take the user to the display form, from which they can turn it to edit mode via the ribbon. I've found for almost all user bases, this is good enough. It's a rare situation where the users are not familiar enough with SharePoint to locate the edit button. If you absolutely need to link to the edit form, you can modify the form control. Instead of using the generic {Common:ItemUrl}, you'll want to build the URL such as {Common:WebUrl}/Lists/YourList/EditForm.aspx?ID={ItemProperty:ID}
    1. I don't typically fulfill requests like this if I can get away with not doing it. Linking to the display form should be good enough because the ItemUrl reference is OOB and turning it to edit mode is OOB as well. You're creating more work for yourself to give your users minimal benefit for something that they already have the means to achieve on their own. Plus if someone changes the list URL, you need to modify your solution and anything already in progress will suffer.
    2. Note: My approach assumes you have Nintex Forms.
  2. Yes. After the initiator completes the task with Error Corrected as the outcome, just put a change state to the current state. It will restart from the top and request approval again.
    1. Note: My approach assumes that the approval task and the creator task are contained in the same state. If not, just switch it back to the approval state happy.png

Hope this helps!

-Josh

Badge +5

Hi Josh -

Here is what I have:   I don't have the option on the Change State action of Current. I can only select from the states I used on the State Machine. 

88972_pastedImage_1.png

So I have the Change State to go back to the approver.   Is this correct?

88971_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +1

Hi Suzanne Caldwell,

You'll need to either:

1. Include the approval in the same state machine as the corrections needed. They can be on the same state, or a different state. But they need to be contained in the same state machine. I actually build a lot of my workflows entirely inside of a single state machine! Just think of each state as a mini-workflow which can be accessed at any point in the workflow.
    OR
  2. Instead of a state machine, put both of them inside of a loop which loops until the outcome = approved. I highly recommend option 1 as it not only looks cleaner, but at least for me is easier to understand
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Suzanne,

It is important to remember that all logic you want accessible to you from within a State Machine, must be contained within the state machine.  Therefore any task actions that you want to be able to "change state" to must exist within a branch that is within the state machine itself.  Once that is true, you should be able to change state as needed to get the desired results.  Every time you change state (once your current branch is finished), will cause your workflow to enter the branch and work its way from the top down on that branch.

Thanks