Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Improve Slow Workflow

Jump to solution

I have this slow SITE workflow a co-worker created. I know it can be faster. It takes about 6 minutes and I believe it is because it keeps looking up items inside a loop. First off, I'm working with Nintex and SharePoint 2010. All that is supposed to be accomplished in this workflow is to set item permissions in the workflow. The evaluator needs permission to the workflow and other admins. But nobody else. Here is the deal:

1 list used as a lookup:

LU_GovEvaluator - It has evaluator name and competency in it

SAC - It has a field that points to the evaluator lookup. When that evaluator is selected, the competency automatically gets filled in because the competency comes from the lookup as well.

In the workflow, it is looking up the evaluator list. I am trying to prevent that.

Thanks!

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
vadim_tabakman
Nintex Newbie

Re: Improve Slow Workflow

Jump to solution

Hey Lisa,

can you check the graphical view of the workflow instance put your mouse over the actions to see which ones are taking the longest.

This may give you a better idea of what to look for.

My guess, is that the Set Item Permissions might be the culprit here.  But that's just a guess.

cheers,

Vadim

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

slowWorkflow2.jpg

0 Kudos
andrewg
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks Lisa, I think I have an idea, but can we see a look into a list item? And please point out which are used as lookups again. Thanks.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

SAC_Item.jpg
The lookup is Government Evaluator. There is also another lookup Competency Code which is hidden. They both point to a lookup list that has the Government Evaluator name and Competency Code.

0 Kudos
andrewg
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Ok, so these two lookup columns are separate and not linked as if selecting an evaluator will bring in the value of a competency. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Selecting an evaluator will populate the competency. And both of those lookup fields are coming from the lookup list Evaluators.

0 Kudos
mmatsako
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Lisa,

Loops inside of loops doing queries into lists and setting permissions will always be a taxing and slow operation, especially when all thrown together.  Someone could also argue for all that it's doing, its not too bad in terms of speed since it appears this is more of a batch operation than a just in time interaction.  I'd say you could rewrite this workflow and perhaps have it fire on items individually at time of modification instead of doing it in batch if you require more real time speeds, but I as well as anyone knows that ultimately your business process will determine if this sort of rewrite is possible. 

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

What my co-worker did was create a site workflow that would be scheduled to run to move items to this list. After the items are moved, it calls this particular workflow which sets permissions to each item. Because it is pretty much copying the items in one fell swoop, you can't set the permissions then. Although I guess, there could be a workflow for when items are added. The question is will that be any faster?

0 Kudos
andrewg
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Actually, it looks like the

For Each Competency loop runs 5 times total

The For Each SAC loop runs 108? times overall during its 5 times activation

For all of that to take 3 minutes and 4 seconds - that is really fast!

0 Kudos