How Do I Modify a SmartObject Definition

Badge +5

Hello, I created a SmartObject based on a SharePoint list with a text field for the user's name. However, I'd like to change that field to be a user. I added a new 'Approval User' column of type people to my list, but it's not showing up in the Process wizard. How do I change an existing SmartObject?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

This should be possible by updating the SMO. On the Site navigate to K2 Site Settings > K2 SmartObject Site Lists and Libraries. Ensure the List is checked and click create. This should refresh the SMO.

HTH

Vernon

Badge +5

Nope, I've changed the list and the new column isn't available in K2 studio. I even tried clicking the Create button again, though that timed out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Any more details on the Timeout Message? What version of K2 Blackpoint are you running? KB??

You can modify the timeout in a configuration file. Please see http://help.k2.com/en/KB001204.aspx

Vernon

Badge +5

Hi Vernon, the text from the timeout isn't very helpful

VALIDATIONThe request
was aborted: The operation has timed out.

I'm running an evaluation copy of 4.5 (4.10060.1.0) with KB001350

Unfortunately, because I'm under evaluation I can't access that article. Would it be possible to copy the text, or give me access?

However, I think I've solved the issue. I was looking at the application logs and noticed the following when creating Smart Objects 'User SmartObject could not be created due to the following error: Server was unable to process request. ---> Failed to load user profile properties ---> No User Profile Application available to service the request. Contact your farm administrator.' I went into central admin an added the Blackpoint account to the user profile service and my next SmartObject creation worked without any warnings. 

For reference, I tried adding a plain text column to my list and that worked, I only got the warning when trying to add a User field.

I still get the occasional timeout, but I think that's the result of a poorly built VM running SharePoint, SQL server and Blackpoint under 4GB of RAM.

For reference, should I need to click the 'Create' button to include new columns in my smart objects? Or is it supposed to happen automatically?

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

No automatic update of SMO, you will have to click Create.

The timeout specified in the KB article is set in C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpointHost ServerBinSourceCode.SmartObjects.Runtime.config

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="commandtimeout" value="30" />

The timeout is in Seconds and if I remember correctly it will only works from KB1230 and higher.

vernon