cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

I am a brand new nintex user. I have setup a document approval workflow and would like to store the results of the approval ideally on a seperate list for compliance purposes. Is there a solution for this?

Jump to solution

I am a brand new nintex user. I have setup a document approval workflow and would like to store the results of the approval ideally on a seperate list for compliance purposes. Is there a solution for this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
cassymfreeman
Nintex Newbie

Re: I am a brand new nintex user. I have setup a document approval workflow and would like to store the results of the approval ideally on a seperate list for compliance purposes. Is there a solution for this?

Jump to solution

Hi

What do you need to capture for compliance purposes?  The approval tasks reside in a workflow tasks list and will have the history of who responded and what comments were left if required.  Also the workflow history residing against each document will have that too.

If you really need to have a separate list you will need to use the "create item" action inside your approval workflow under each decision to add an item to your audit list and specify the values for this list.  When you "insert reference" you will find the following properties under the common tab:

• Last Task Respondent Display Name - this is the display name of the person who responded to the most recent task
  • Approver Comments - this is the comments made by the approver on the most recent task (if any were left)
  • Current Date
  • Current Time

Some (or all) of these may be applicable to add to your audit history list against the approval workflow.

If you give a better understanding of what you want to capture I can do you some screenshots.

jesse_mchargue
Nintex Newbie

Re: I am a brand new nintex user. I have setup a document approval workflow and would like to store the results of the approval ideally on a seperate list for compliance purposes. Is there a solution for this?

Jump to solution

Hello Mhairi Clare Cowie​ -

Welcome to the community!

There are a few different ways that you could approach this problem, but it depends on how your process is setup currently.

I would approach this just as you mentioned, in a separate list that holds "Approval Results" and would write to that list when the document approval workflow is wrapping up. You would want to use the "Create item" action and then select the destination list and then simply populate the item details. Make sure that you use some sort of ID that can be related back to the specific document.

This is pretty basic, but will get you on the right track.

Let me know if you need more specific examples!

Hope this helps!

jesse_mchargue
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Cassy Freeman​ -

We do something similar to this process because workflow history will eventually fall away and it allows other users to quickly get to the compliance specific items when something comes up, such as a monthly filing or report.

More specifically, we do this with attachments; a user completes a task, uploads their attachments, we grab a copy and place it into a "holding" library for our compliance coordinator to review and move into the proper libraries for archive.

bjensen
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Another option instead of a separate list is to do the compliance through versioning.  This way you can check the version history on the document instead of trying to dig through what could be a very large list. We have thousands of documents we have to keep up to date and approved.  The approval workflow once all approval tasks have been completed can then do a major version check in and have the comments, who approved, time, and all other history on the version history of the document itself. This way you can review the versions to see the notes and you can then apply a retention policy to the library to remove any versions older then the required retention time frame as a automated process.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Cassy - this is great. The ' create item' function looks to be exactly what I am looking for! This workflow goes to several ' approvers' and I would like to record the time of approval for each. Is there a way to record the time of approval?

Thanks so much!

cassymfreeman
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I guess you could query the workflow tasks list to look at the modified date and time?

rgerrets
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

These all seem very good solutions, provided that you are on Nintex on-premise. If you are of Nintex Workflow for Office 365 you will most likely sooner or later run into the 5000 items limit. We are running into this with the task lists and the task related information.

I am looking for examples of how other users of Office 365 (SharePoint Online) are dealing with the 5000 items limitation.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

Remco

bjensen
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

We do not have the 5000 limit problem you do.  Though we do on a regular basis move things to archives and different locations/lists. You could look at building a workflow that will query a given list, and move items that match a given age criteria and move that over to a separate list for archiving.

jesse_mchargue
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I would look into some sort of archiving process. Depending on your specific retention policies, you would want to move them off somewhere (if needed) or simply get rid of them.

You may also want to review your processes as well and see if there are opportunities to reduce task assignments. The classic case is if a task is "approved" 100% of the time, then do you really need an approval or would a notification suffice?

Hope this helps!