Once a site is automatically created, update a list on the new site using workflow data

• 22 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

In my environment, all new project sites are created using a template which includes a list called "Project Details".  Once a project site is created, the "Project Details" list is populated with project-specific content.  This content (content type) is used throughout my environment by the Content Search Web Part.  It surfaces projects dynamically throughout the site based on what users choose to type in the various "Project Details" list. For example, if Human Resources is chosen as the Department on a specific project, then the Content Search Web Part on the Human Resources site will surface this project.  

I am trying to automate the site building process.  I built a Nintex workflow titled "New Project Site Request" that automatically creates the new site and collects all the data needed for the "Project Details" list that will be on the new workflow-created site.  I cannot figure out how to write the workflow so that after it creates the site, it populates the "Project Details" list using the information collected in the workflow.  The Project Details list will always be called "Project Details" and I know I will always be updating list item ID 1 on the list.  Is that possible? 

4 replies

Badge +1

Possible solution?  Maybe I can add a workflow on the template that is designed to update the "Project Details" list.  Maybe that workflow could get kicked off by the first workflow once the site is created.  I have no idea if that is possible. 

Badge +10

May be you can try this one, after creating the site using the site workflow, store the site url in a variable. Now the next control in the workflow will be update multiple items. In there you have the option to mention the url of the site that you can to update the list. So "update multiple item" configuration use a variable url that has a default url to a site that already exists (which has project details list). It will not work if the workflow is using GUID of the list, it should work if it is using the list name.

Give it a try.

Badge +1

Wow - I commend you on your ability to completely understand my question and then provide a VERY specific response.  Well done - and thank you so much! 

Badge +10

Happy that it could assist you.