cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use repeating section and assign parallel tasks at runtime

Hello all,

We are using nintex workflow(3.1.3.0) with nintex form(2.6.0.0).

As per my requirement, I have 3 Users in workflow : 1)Application Planner 2)Application Owner 3)UAT. For each user there is one content type associated with nintex form.

In Application Planner form,there are fields like, Application name, Application Owner.

I have used "repeating section" control in nintex form so that Planner can create multiple "Applications" for multiple "Application owner" Tasks should be assigned parallaly to  "Application Owner"

In Application Owner form,there is field like, UAT.

Owner can create multiple "UAT" and further task will be assigned to all "UAT" parallaly.

For, this, I have parsed XML of Repeating section using nintex workflow actions.

How can I assign multiple tasks parallaly, number of branches are not known while creating workflow. (i.e. it is determined at the runtime)

However "Parallal task" action requires fix number of branches while creating workflow.

I need all the stages in one list, one workflow and on one item.

How can I achieve this ? Suggestions please

Thanks in advance.

Chandni

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
cju
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to use repeating section and assign parallel tasks at runtime

Do you have to wait for every actions to be finished to execute other actions afterwards ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello Caroline,

Thanks for the reply.

There are independent task for each user and there is no dependency on other task. Just tasks are assigned parallely for each of this 3 stage .

0 Kudos
cju
Nintex Newbie

What type of task do you want to create ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I am using assign to-do task for all the user.

0 Kudos
cju
Nintex Newbie

Maybe the easiest solution is to perform a foreach loop and Inside this loop, create tasks with the "Create item" action.

But with this solution you won't have the features of the "Assign to-do task".

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Caroline,

The solution of 'Create Item' in the Workflow Tasks list is not an easy bite. In such cases, how can we configure the notifications as we did in the 'Flexi Task' action? Also, how to associate these newly created tasks with the current workflow instance?

Does Nintex have/working-on a solution to creating tasks to individuals, parallely and dynamically.

It doesn't seem logical to use 'Run Parallel actions', because, the number of branches can be known at execution time only.

Thanks

Abhijith Shastry

0 Kudos
cju
Nintex Newbie

Why do you need to associate the created tasks with the current workflow instance ?

To send an email, you can do it with the send notification action after creating the task. As you can store the ID of the created task in a variable, you can build the url to the edit task in the email (for example : {Common:Web URL}/lists/workflow tasks/editform.aspx?id={workflow variable: create task id})

As far as I know, there is nothing to create tasks to individuals, parallely and dynamically.

The way it works is logical, it is just not the same logic .

0 Kudos
Not applicable

If you don't associate the tasks to the workflow instance, you'll not be able to view these tasks from the Workflow column of the current Item. And how to decide the outcome in this case? Workflow will not be able to get the outcome of the task, and run accordingly.

0 Kudos
cju
Nintex Newbie

Well, regarding your requirements, you can't do what you'd like to do without creating other items/workflows.

If you'd like to have a view with the item and the associated tasks you will have to use a column to make the link between the principal list and the other that you will have to create. Then in a page, you can add two list view web parts connected so that when you select an item in the first list view, it will filter the second one.

0 Kudos