Flexi task issue/question

• 19 February 2016
  • 7 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I have a  SharePoint list where on an condition set to '1' a list workflow starts.

This list flow starts a site workflow parsing several parameters to a site flow called "StartTrackingSiteFlow".

In the site flow a collection of users are selected from the AD using an LDAP query.

For all members of this user collection within the site flow another site flow (called "TrackingTask") is started parsing also some parameters and the main content
of this site flow is assigning a flex task to each user.

There is only one outcome possible from the task.

We have defined that reminder will be sent to the assignee after 14 days and the after another 7 days the task will be escalated to the parent initiator (creator of the list entry where the flow was started from).

Assign FlexiTask issue-2016-02-19_10-28-31.gif

Now my question:

How is it possible to get the date/time when the reminder was sent and add this value to a column in the task list.

The same information I want to add for the escalation step.

Assign FlexiTask issue-1-2016-02-19_10-28-31.gif

I hope the description is clearly enough to understand my question. In case you need more information please don't hesitate to contact me.

7 replies

Badge +11

Hi Ruediger,

just an idea: How about you configure your reminder to send a copy of the mail to a sharepoint library which is able to receive emails? Then you could use a event receiver or another workflow on item created in that library and write back the timestamp to the task list?

Could that work? Not very beautiful, but would be easy to setup.

Greetings

Philipp

Badge +1

Hi Philipp,

thx for your replay!
The suggested solution is indeed not very beautiful this solution will create a lot entries in the receiving library.
IS there no other solution?
May be the flexi task is not the right action to use?

KR,

Ruediger

Badge +11

This is the only solution I can think of if you want to use the integrated reminder mail of the task actions. And you could configure your additional WF/Event receiver to delete the library item immediately after the timestamp has been written to the task list. So you would probably have not more than 1 or two items at the same time in this library.

Another possibility is to create the reminder mails separately. Which means you are using parallel paths. One path is your Task assignment, the other path is a loop where you can send mails and create timestamps for the mails to write them back to your task list.

Capture.JPG

After your task has been completed, you set the variable you use as your loop condition to false, so the loop will stop. For the escalation timestamp (I presume you escalate to rejected but it's the same for approval) you will need to check who completed the task item. If after completion it has been modified by the system account (or the account that runs the workflow), it was completed due to escalation otherwise it was completed by the assignee. You will also need a pause for... action in your loop to wait for some days between the reminders.

I've never actually used this structure but It could help to solve your issue.

Regards

Philipp

Badge +1

Hi Philipp,

thx again for your fast reply!

I think I will try to change the flow and use the suggested parallel paths next week.

Have a nice weekend

KR,

Ruediger

Badge +1

Hi Phillip,

Sorry it took a while until I finally found some time to try your suggestion.

I have created the suggested parallel actions but I have some issues using this variant:

Issue-2-2016-03-07_15-11-23.gif

In first instance the part for the left loop condition went wrong. When the task has been answered the variable “ReminderLoopVar”  was
set to “0”, but the loop was already started so that an reminder mail was sent although it was no longer necessary (because of finishing the task).

To get this solved I have added a “Run if” action to send the reminder only in case “ReminderLoopVar” equals “1”.

The next problem is that the task ID is empty for the “Update Item” action. So it’s not possible to update the task item and the URL
calculated to reach the item from the reminder mail does not work.

Example URL for the reminder mail including the link to the Task
item: http://xxx.xxx/dep/IT/eTrac/Lists/Workflow%20Tasks/EditForm.aspx?ID=

Task definition screenshot:

Issue-4-2016-03-07_15-11-23.gif

Update Item action config screen shot:
Issue-3-2016-03-07_15-11-23.gif

In case the reminder parallel part is finished the task is set to “ Not required” instead of sill “pending”.

Issue-5-2016-03-07_15-11-23.gif

Do you have a suggestion to solve these issues?

Thanks in advance!

Badge +11

Hi Ruediger,

unfortunately I don't have a quick solution for your issues. I would have to recreate your workflow and test it on my own environment but I'm not sure when I will find the time to do this. I hope to be able to provide you some feedback at the end of the week.

Greetings

Philipp

Badge +11

Hi Ruediger,

don't know why the taskID is empty, I thought this would work since the task is already existing but doesn't work for me either.

Which brings me back to my first suggestions. Yes, this may produce some list items. But you can either delete them immediately after you updated your task item or daily/weekly within a separate site workflow.

Or how many task items pending and waiting for approval for more than 14 days are we talking about? wink.png