Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rsmphlrs
Nintex Newbie

How to store the last approve name in a list column using nintex workflow

Jump to solution

i have a list. in that each and every approver need to approve. here i want to store the last approver name to a list column

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How to store the last approve name in a list column using nintex workflow

Jump to solution

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question, but if you are saying-

1. Every item in the list needs to be approved
  2. You want to store the name of the most recent person to approve a list item as a property of that list item (in a specific column)

That sounds straightforward. You would create an "on modified" workflow that does roughly the following-

1. Checks to see if the previous status of the item was "not approved" and is now changing to "approved".
  2. If so, writes the user ID of the current workflow initiator into the "approved by" column (which would be a "person or group" field)

One thing to watch out for. You can't use the standard Sharepoint "Draft/Approved" functionality on the list. The standard SP feature makes any approved item non-approved (draft) again whenever the approved version is changed. However the workflow writing the approver name into a field constitutes a change, so whenever you approve an item a few seconds later the system will set it back to Draft !

You either have to "roll your own" Draft / Approved status field, and modify the list views to hide items based on your custom approval status column, or store the approver data in a separate list in a 1:1 relationship with the primary list.

My experience is that workflows and the built-in draft/approved feature just dont play together. You are better off to create your own.

Regards: Colin

philipplucas
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to store the last approve name in a list column using nintex workflow

Jump to solution

Hi Sanath,

in the "Common" tab of the references you can insert almost everywhere in your workflow, there is a "Last Task Respondent Display Name". This variable stores the name of the person who recently completed a task (e. g. an approval).

Which means after your first approval, you can put an "update item" action on your canvas and configure it to set your field with the value of "Last Task Respondent Display Name".

This get's a little more tricky if you assign a task to a whole group of users. But I can adress that too, if it's necessary for you.

Greetings

Philipp