Object reference not set to an instance of an object

• 8 September 2005
  • 4 replies

Badge +7
Hi,
When I try to configure K2 Service manager to use External Authentication according K2.Net 2003 SQL User Manager Guide, or I try to export the process which uses SQL User Manager - it displays error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Could you please help me how to solve it?

---- Edited a bit later -----
If I select to enable anonymous authentication - project exports successfully, but I suppose it is not correct.
I read in the manual I should put the Username and Password - but what are these fields (what a person or system)?

4 replies

Badge +11
ok, first things first...

Make sure that K2Server initializes the User Manager successfully. This will mean that the connection to the SQLUM database is specified correctly. You can check this by either enabling the K2Server.log trace file (and restarting K2.net 2003 Server) or by starting the K2.net 2003 Server in console mode. If you get to a line which states - 'Server running' - the User Manager initialized successfully.

Then, for a user to log in to K2.net Service Manager, the user MUST be part of the Security Users (if any users has been specified as Security Users previously). Your external connection string should look something similar to:
[;];Authentication=External; User=ockert; Password=pswockert

where the specified user and password is the credentials of a user stored in the SQLUM database.

If the problem persists, please post a screenshot of the following:
1. Your _Setting table in your K2 transaction database;
2. Your _ServerUser table in your K2 transaction database;
3. Your K2.net 2003 Server started in console mode (with the first 10 - 15 lines visisble).
3. Your external Connection String as specified in K2.net Service Manager;
4. The specified user credentials in the K2Users table of K2SQLUM database.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +1
I have a similar troubleshoot. I have created a user in K2Users Table.I used this user. But it has error when edit server "Invalid username".what user and password in following external connection String
[;];Authentication=External; User=ockert; Password=pswockert

Then, for a user to log in to K2.net Service Manager, the user MUST be part of the Security Users (if any users has been specified as Security Users previously).

what i must do for this

what is the role of _Setting table and _ServerUser table ?
Badge +4

Hi,

this same issue is raised in K2 service manger,in service manager when we registration,i gave external authentication,the same messge is

object reference not set to an instance of an object,

if i gave windows authentication is it working,but i need external authentication,in service manager how can i solve this problem.help me pls

thanks,

schand

Badge +1

I got the same problem the first time installing SQLUM.

I had to close K2 Service Manager and run K2.NET 2003 Server from Start Menu->K2.NET 2003 again. After that, I edited the server registration in Service Manager in order to use External authentication and it worked fine.

Hope this help!